Feds: Mississippi county runs 'school-to-prison pipeline' - CNN.com:"The systematic disregard for children's basic constitutional rights by agencies with a duty to protect and serve these children betrays the public trust," Thomas E. Perez, assistant U.S. attorney general, said in a statement. "We hope to resolve the concerns outlined in our findings in a collaborative fashion, but we will not hesitate to take appropriate legal action if necessary." In 2009, the Lauderdale County Juvenile Detention Facility in Meridian was the target of a federal class-action lawsuit by the Southern Poverty Law Center that alleged children and teens were subjected to "shockingly inhumane" treatment, the center said. The alleged mistreatment included youngsters being "crammed into small, filthy cells and tormented with the arbitrary use of Mace as a punishment for even the most minor infractions -- such as 'talking too much' or failing to sit in the 'back of their cells,'" the center said in a statement. In 2010, Lauderdale County officials and the center reached an agreement to reform the jail system and consider alternatives to sending youths to the detention center, said the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights group. "I think this is evidence of a broken system where the most vulnerable population of kids are not receiving their constitutionally guaranteed rights," Jody Owens II, managing attorney for the center's Mississippi office, told CNN."
"On Friday, the U.S. Justice Department accused Meridian police of automatically arresting all students referred by the city's public schools and then sending them to the county juvenile justice system, "where existing due process protections are illusory and inadequate," the federal letter says."
Kudos to the U.S. Department of Justice--although slow to act--where were they in 2009?
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Contextual software or clueless software
- Blue States and Red States
- Fmr. Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice Speaks at RNC ...
- Goldman Sachs and the Sale Gone Horribly Awry
- Apple v Samsung - Who Really Won?
- Multimillionaire Obama
- EA v Zynga - is this the end for Zynga?
- Presidential TV ad spending focused on 9 states
- Apple v Samsung - a broken legal system - a defect...
- The "New" Montauk
- White House Press Corps Goes Seven Weeks Without a...
- Gawker looking stupid with its worthless 'Bain files'
- "quote approval" - How Washington Controls the Media
- Who is Mitt Romney? (video)
- Digital Media--old media just doesn't get it
- Is this the way Obama really talks?
- Passenger trains from Miami to Orlando - without O...
- Zuckerberg always said Facebook wasn't about makin...
- Law and Order Mississippi-style
- Lost Respect for Obama yet?
- London 2012 Olympics: NBC Clueless to the End
- Porn copyright trolls, pirates, AT&T and Comcast
- Back to School advice re: Tablets, PCs, iPads, Not...
- Silicon Valley and Obama's Solyndra
- Why are Obama Google+ posts appearing as news stor...
- Ryan v. Obama (video)
- Deficit Spending - Bush v Obama
- Facebook users beware: Facial Recognition Tech
- Obama Press Secretary Marries ABC Campaign Reporter
- Is there something wrong with Romney's advisors?
- Freedom of Speech and "Chicago Values"
- The True Jobs Report (not so good)
- Curiosity lands on Mars--Success!!
- "We're Not Stupid" - words that may haunt Mitt Romney
- Knight Shows How to Lose $440 Million in 30 Minutes
- The Cult of Equity is Dying--Bill Gross of Pimco (...
- London--the City within a City
- McCain "bitchslaps" Cheney for saying picking Pali...
- ▼ August (38)