From Comcast/NBC's horrific missteps of Olympic coverage to the certainty of continuing declines in mainstream media (paywalls will lead to certain death)--it's clear that old media (at least in the U.S.) just doesn't "get it," so it's no surprise the American public is going elsewhere--like British media--
British invasion hits US online media | News.com.au: "BRITISH media have been making inroads in the US market by invading online space, seizing readers who might otherwise visit websites of American outlets such as Fox News or The New York Times. And, even though US news organisations are widely respected around the world, the Brits are peeling away American readers. According to data from research firm comScore, the tabloid Daily Mail's Mail Online overtook The New York Times last year as the world's biggest newspaper website and held the top spot in June with 44.7 million visitors. Separate data from web analytics site Alexa.com showed The Guardian and BBC websites were among the top 15 news sites, holding their own among CNN, Yahoo! News and others. "In the English-speaking world, the divider of the Atlantic Ocean is ebbing away because of the internet," said Ken Doctor, a media analyst with the research firm Outsell. . . ."If you talk to the major British quality publishers, about a third of their traffic has been over the years in the US, which is a surprise," Doctor said. . . . One factor is how internet news searches work."Google has democratised the sourcing of news, so you are as likely to find a story from the BBC as from Chicago Tribune," Doctor said. "There is an audience of people who want another point of view, there is an expat audience, and you put all those together and it's significant." Rebecca Lieb, analyst with the Altimeter Group, said paywalls on some US sites such as the New York Times have driven readers elsewhere, and social media also can help drive momentum for sites from the British."Tweets and social mentions are becoming a significant driver of traffic to news sites," Lieb said. . . ."
For the best quality journalism in the English-speaking world, I personally recommend The Telegraph.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Digital Media--old media just doesn't get it
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Contextual software or clueless software
- Blue States and Red States
- Fmr. Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice Speaks at RNC ...
- Goldman Sachs and the Sale Gone Horribly Awry
- Apple v Samsung - Who Really Won?
- Multimillionaire Obama
- EA v Zynga - is this the end for Zynga?
- Presidential TV ad spending focused on 9 states
- Apple v Samsung - a broken legal system - a defect...
- The "New" Montauk
- White House Press Corps Goes Seven Weeks Without a...
- Gawker looking stupid with its worthless 'Bain files'
- "quote approval" - How Washington Controls the Media
- Who is Mitt Romney? (video)
- Digital Media--old media just doesn't get it
- Is this the way Obama really talks?
- Passenger trains from Miami to Orlando - without O...
- Zuckerberg always said Facebook wasn't about makin...
- Law and Order Mississippi-style
- Lost Respect for Obama yet?
- London 2012 Olympics: NBC Clueless to the End
- Porn copyright trolls, pirates, AT&T and Comcast
- Back to School advice re: Tablets, PCs, iPads, Not...
- Silicon Valley and Obama's Solyndra
- Why are Obama Google+ posts appearing as news stor...
- Ryan v. Obama (video)
- Deficit Spending - Bush v Obama
- Facebook users beware: Facial Recognition Tech
- Obama Press Secretary Marries ABC Campaign Reporter
- Is there something wrong with Romney's advisors?
- Freedom of Speech and "Chicago Values"
- The True Jobs Report (not so good)
- Curiosity lands on Mars--Success!!
- "We're Not Stupid" - words that may haunt Mitt Romney
- Knight Shows How to Lose $440 Million in 30 Minutes
- The Cult of Equity is Dying--Bill Gross of Pimco (...
- London--the City within a City
- McCain "bitchslaps" Cheney for saying picking Pali...
- ▼ August (38)