The paradoxes of "litigation" are becoming clear in the infamous Apple v. Samsung case--the winners? Lawyers ($$$) and Android:
Check, Please: Experts Say Apple, Samsung Face Sky-High Legal Fees - Law Blog - WSJ: "One group was always going to make out well in the titanic legal battle between Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co.: the lawyers. . . ."
Why Apple Actually Lost to Samsung | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com: "Several times throughout the case, the same point was driven home: the Android phone is identical to, and perhaps better than, the iPhone. This "revelation," which Android users have always known, will easily cost Apple more than a billion dollars in sales."
Where this leaves Apple long-term becomes troubling. Over time, android and its various manufacturers will continue to iterate and out-innovate Apple. Apple concedes it cannot compete on "price." Apple's market share will diminish and it will at some point be spending more in legal fees than it will be able to recoup in damages or by restraint of trade and competition through legal processes. Steve Jobs was a guy I admire--but he had character defects as we all do. One of those was an imagined sense of being a "victim" of "rip-off" of designs, etc. A classic example of this was the accusation he hurled at Bill Gates and Microsoft:
Microsoft News » Bill Gates Response To Steve Jobs On Windows Rip-Off Claim: "Their meeting was in Jobs’s conference room, where Gates found himself surrounded by ten Apple employees who were eager to watch their boss assail him. Jobs didn’t disappoint his troops. “You’re ripping us off!” he shouted. “I trusted you, and now you’re stealing from us!” Gates just sat there coolly, looking Steve in the eye, before hurling back, in his squeaky voice, what became a classic zinger. “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”"
Tim Cook is a competent manager but he's not a "product guy" nor does he strike me as being "litigation saavy." I wonder if he understands that lawyers will gladly ride Apple's decline all the way to bankruptcy and liquidation?
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Apple v Samsung - Who Really Won?
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Contextual software or clueless software
- Blue States and Red States
- Fmr. Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice Speaks at RNC ...
- Goldman Sachs and the Sale Gone Horribly Awry
- Apple v Samsung - Who Really Won?
- Multimillionaire Obama
- EA v Zynga - is this the end for Zynga?
- Presidential TV ad spending focused on 9 states
- Apple v Samsung - a broken legal system - a defect...
- The "New" Montauk
- White House Press Corps Goes Seven Weeks Without a...
- Gawker looking stupid with its worthless 'Bain files'
- "quote approval" - How Washington Controls the Media
- Who is Mitt Romney? (video)
- Digital Media--old media just doesn't get it
- Is this the way Obama really talks?
- Passenger trains from Miami to Orlando - without O...
- Zuckerberg always said Facebook wasn't about makin...
- Law and Order Mississippi-style
- Lost Respect for Obama yet?
- London 2012 Olympics: NBC Clueless to the End
- Porn copyright trolls, pirates, AT&T and Comcast
- Back to School advice re: Tablets, PCs, iPads, Not...
- Silicon Valley and Obama's Solyndra
- Why are Obama Google+ posts appearing as news stor...
- Ryan v. Obama (video)
- Deficit Spending - Bush v Obama
- Facebook users beware: Facial Recognition Tech
- Obama Press Secretary Marries ABC Campaign Reporter
- Is there something wrong with Romney's advisors?
- Freedom of Speech and "Chicago Values"
- The True Jobs Report (not so good)
- Curiosity lands on Mars--Success!!
- "We're Not Stupid" - words that may haunt Mitt Romney
- Knight Shows How to Lose $440 Million in 30 Minutes
- The Cult of Equity is Dying--Bill Gross of Pimco (...
- London--the City within a City
- McCain "bitchslaps" Cheney for saying picking Pali...
- ▼ August (38)