Facebook users beware--
Facial recognition tech is rocketing ahead of laws that can control it | Ars Technica: "Many Americans don't realize they're already in a facial recognition database," Jennifer Lynch, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said Wednesday in a hearing on the technology. Addressing Senator Al Franken and the Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law, Lynch pointed out that there is a painful disconnect between how little personal action is required to capture a face and how much personal information can be associated with it. All that, thanks to the Internet. As it is, Lynch said, "Americans can't take precautions to prevent the collection of their image." Senator Franken called the hearing out of concern for the speed at which facial recognition technology is progressing as its use remains unregulated. Dr. Alessandro Acquisti, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University, said facial recognition could soon become a casual pursuit as computers get smaller, more powerful, and cloud computing costs come down. "Within a few years, real-time, automated, mass-scale facial recognition will be technologically feasible and economically efficient," Acquisti wrote in a statement; for companies, for friends, and for law enforcement. Facial recognition has two characteristics that alarmed most members of the panel. First, faces (unlike other common information gatekeepers like passwords or PIN numbers) can't be changed for protection. Second, neither permission nor interaction is required for one person to capture the face of another. If they're in public, their visage is fair game. Facial recognition "creates acute privacy concerns that fingerprints do not" because of the ease of collection, Franken said. . . . "
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Contextual software or clueless software
- Blue States and Red States
- Fmr. Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice Speaks at RNC ...
- Goldman Sachs and the Sale Gone Horribly Awry
- Apple v Samsung - Who Really Won?
- Multimillionaire Obama
- EA v Zynga - is this the end for Zynga?
- Presidential TV ad spending focused on 9 states
- Apple v Samsung - a broken legal system - a defect...
- The "New" Montauk
- White House Press Corps Goes Seven Weeks Without a...
- Gawker looking stupid with its worthless 'Bain files'
- "quote approval" - How Washington Controls the Media
- Who is Mitt Romney? (video)
- Digital Media--old media just doesn't get it
- Is this the way Obama really talks?
- Passenger trains from Miami to Orlando - without O...
- Zuckerberg always said Facebook wasn't about makin...
- Law and Order Mississippi-style
- Lost Respect for Obama yet?
- London 2012 Olympics: NBC Clueless to the End
- Porn copyright trolls, pirates, AT&T and Comcast
- Back to School advice re: Tablets, PCs, iPads, Not...
- Silicon Valley and Obama's Solyndra
- Why are Obama Google+ posts appearing as news stor...
- Ryan v. Obama (video)
- Deficit Spending - Bush v Obama
- Facebook users beware: Facial Recognition Tech
- Obama Press Secretary Marries ABC Campaign Reporter
- Is there something wrong with Romney's advisors?
- Freedom of Speech and "Chicago Values"
- The True Jobs Report (not so good)
- Curiosity lands on Mars--Success!!
- "We're Not Stupid" - words that may haunt Mitt Romney
- Knight Shows How to Lose $440 Million in 30 Minutes
- The Cult of Equity is Dying--Bill Gross of Pimco (...
- London--the City within a City
- McCain "bitchslaps" Cheney for saying picking Pali...
- ▼ August (38)