Great article in Fast Company about creativity--and the importance of making time to be "free of distractions" so the creative juices can flow--
Want To Be More Creative? Get Bored | Fast Company: " . . . What the shower and the pool have in common is they’re both places where you’re rarely disturbed, allowing solitary contemplation. The warm water sure doesn't hurt, either. This is all related to a phenomenon that’s been identified by Edward de Bono, the legendary creative thinker. He calls it the "creative pause." In de Bono’s book Serious Creativity, he asserts that even when things are going along, well, swimmingly, "some of the best results come when people stop to think about things that no one else has stopped to think about." Although most people are unaware of the name for it, creative pauses are happening wherever people are solving problems. They occur among harassed CEOs, design directors, and small-business entrepreneurs. The creative pause allows the space for your mind to drift, to imagine and to shift, opening it up to new ways of seeing. There’s just one small problem: The creative pause might soon become a thing of the past. When was the last time you remember being bored? Or even having a moment free from distractions? . . . "
So take some time for some "creative pauses" in your life!
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- America Not the Greatest Country Any Longer? (video)
- Google Moves Motorola Mobility to Chicago
- Election 2012 -- all bets are off
- Barney Frank vs. Maria Bartiromo on CNBC, July 26th
- Copyright Trolls and Counter-suits
- Meet the Internet Association
- SkyDrive account suspensions
- Penn State: what's next?
- Marissa and Yahoo--it was meant to be
- Big-time College Sports--a sick culture
- IMF predicts slower economic growth for world (video)
- The "creative pause"
- London -- World Class City (video)
- London - Economist Special Report
- Yahoo Appoints Marissa Mayer CEO
- Obama: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t bui...
- Designing 007: Fifty Years of Bond Style
- Obama Running A Very Ugly Campaign
- Japan - the 'Mother of All Bubbles'
- Anti-foreclosure Laws and Unintended Consequences
- BlackBerry’s Latest Delay Could Lead to Lawsuits
- A Tale of Three Nations: Ireland, Estonia, Iceland
- UN Law of the Sea Treaty - a "must do"
- Don't tell Ireland and Greece, but Iceland is doin...
- The economy? Slippin' and Slidin'
- Apple Gets Sued Again in China
- Google has always been a "hardware maker"
- Declaration of Internet Freedom
- BIS Annual Report 2011/2012 -- a "must read"
- Paul Krugman's Follies?
- China: Garbage In; Garbage Out
- I have something he will never have
- ▼ July (32)