Paul Krugman and other economists think Japan is doing better than the U.S. and others. They better think again--
Japan's Debt Addiction Creating 'Mother of All Bubbles' - Yahoo! Finance: " . . Andy Xie, an independent economist, agrees that Japan's debt situation is not sustainable and that the country is becoming increasingly reliant on foreign capital flows. Even though the yield on 10-year JGBs is less than 1 percent, the interest expense is expected to top 22.3 trillion yen ($280.6 billion) in the current fiscal year, Xie said. "This is one-quarter of the budget," he added. "If the bond yield rises to 2 percent, the interest expense would surpass the total expected tax revenue (this year) of 42.3 trillion yen." Xie added that Japan is caught in a vicious cycle - it needs a strong yen so that yields, and hence interest costs can stay low, but a strong currency kills domestic companies. "A strong yen makes people willing to take on the low yield, people think that by buying into the Japanese yen, they may make (money) on capital gains," Xie said. "But once people realize that a strong yen is really hollowing out the Japanese industry like automakers and electronics firms, there will be a real backlash." Another expert who is worried about high levels of debt is Richard Duncan, Chief Economist of Blackhorse Asset Management, and also the author of "The New Depression: The Breakdown of the Paper Money Economy. . . "
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- America Not the Greatest Country Any Longer? (video)
- Google Moves Motorola Mobility to Chicago
- Election 2012 -- all bets are off
- Barney Frank vs. Maria Bartiromo on CNBC, July 26th
- Copyright Trolls and Counter-suits
- Meet the Internet Association
- SkyDrive account suspensions
- Penn State: what's next?
- Marissa and Yahoo--it was meant to be
- Big-time College Sports--a sick culture
- IMF predicts slower economic growth for world (video)
- The "creative pause"
- London -- World Class City (video)
- London - Economist Special Report
- Yahoo Appoints Marissa Mayer CEO
- Obama: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t bui...
- Designing 007: Fifty Years of Bond Style
- Obama Running A Very Ugly Campaign
- Japan - the 'Mother of All Bubbles'
- Anti-foreclosure Laws and Unintended Consequences
- BlackBerry’s Latest Delay Could Lead to Lawsuits
- A Tale of Three Nations: Ireland, Estonia, Iceland
- UN Law of the Sea Treaty - a "must do"
- Don't tell Ireland and Greece, but Iceland is doin...
- The economy? Slippin' and Slidin'
- Apple Gets Sued Again in China
- Google has always been a "hardware maker"
- Declaration of Internet Freedom
- BIS Annual Report 2011/2012 -- a "must read"
- Paul Krugman's Follies?
- China: Garbage In; Garbage Out
- I have something he will never have
- ▼ July (32)