Remaining College Bowl Games:
Jan. 3 Sugar Bowl Michigan vs. Virginia Tech 5:30 p.m.
Jan. 4 Orange Bowl West Virginia vs. Clemson 5:30 p.m.
Jan. 6 Cotton Bowl Kansas State vs. Arkansas 5 p.m.
Jan. 7 BBVA Compass Bowl SMU vs. Pittsburgh 10 a.m.
Jan. 8 GoDaddy.com Arkansas St. vs. Northern Illinois 6 p.m.
Jan. 9 BCS National Championship LSU vs. Alabama 5:30 p.m.
In the meantime, as a follow-up to my post last August It’s not just about the U in which I discussed the University of Miami football program and issues arising from the Nevin Shapiro scandal (which now pales in comparison to the horrendous issues of Penn State), I concluded with the following question: "Why is it that everybody but the players is making big-time money off major college sports today?"
Now in a thoughtful article in the New York Times, Joe Nocera answers that question with a proposal well worth the time to read in full for anyone having an interest in major college football or basketball. Let’s Start Paying College Athletes - NYTimes.com: ". . . The hypocrisy that permeates big-money college sports takes your breath away. College football and men’s basketball have become such huge commercial enterprises that together they generate more than $6 billion in annual revenue, more than the National Basketball Association. A top college coach can make as much or more than a professional coach; Ohio State just agreed to pay Urban Meyer $24 million over six years. Powerful conferences like the S.E.C. and the Pac 12 have signed lucrative TV deals, while the Big 10 and the University of Texas have created their own sports networks. . . . College sports will become more honest once players are paid, and more honorable. Fans will be able to enjoy football and men’s basketball without having to avert their eyes from the scandals and the hypocrisy. . . "
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Home prices continue to drop - turnaround in 2015?...
- Is Newt Gingrich Clueless?
- Only Romney beats Obama in Swing States
- Abolish all Public Pensions and Lower College Tuit...
- Joe Scarborough on Newt Gingrich
- A question Mitt Romney would never ask nor need to...
- The Eurozone's problem in one sentence
- State of the Union and entitlement reform
- Like All Demagogues, Gingrich needs the zeal of a ...
- Newt Gingrich Tax Cheat - Forbes
- Jobs: We don't talk enough about solutions
- Ann Coulter: ‘With Newt Gingrich you throw out the...
- Obama Team Dream: GOP Nominee Newt Gingrich
- GOP: It's starting to look like 1964
- European Banks: Caveat Emptor
- Housing in the US: still on taxpayer life support
- Going from Bad to Worse: Rick Perry Dropping Out; ...
- Random Notes for a January Wednesday
- You think we have a progressive income tax system?...
- Romney at Bain Capital: Impressive
- Eurozone: Portugal's borrowing costs soar
- Eurozone: austerity equals contraction
- The Fed: Clueless
- Aon: US tax system causing move from Chicago
- SOPA and PIPA: take action now
- Daley - no major role in Obama Campaign
- Reason Enough To Not Vote for Obama
- Here's the real election story of the day
- You think the December jobs report is good news?
- Rick Santorum: serial hypocrite and record of betr...
- Everything you need to know about Washington in on...
- NDAA 2012--one more reason to NOT vote for Obama
- The Contagion of Denial
- Iowa: good news for Republicans and Romney
- College Football: Paying the Players is an Issue t...
- Eurozone 2012: Greece, Italy, France
- ▼ January (36)