You want to know the true state of housing in the U.S.? Then look at the infrastructure supporting the housing industry--still on taxpayer "life-support."--
Financial Crisis Narrative Flunks Reality Check: Jonathan Weil - Bloomberg: "No doubt, it’s an outrage that Fannie and Freddie still exist, more than three years after they collapsed into government conservatorship. Last February, President Barack Obama’s administration released a report to Congress in which it proposed winding down the two companies. Yet there’s been little action on this front since then. The Treasury Department’s gross investments in Fannie and Freddie totaled $176 billion as of Sept. 30, according to the department’s fiscal 2011 annual report, released in November. More important, if the Treasury suddenly stopped supporting the companies, the housing markets in many parts of the country probably would crash. Although Fannie and Freddie weren’t the only causes of the 2008 crisis, letting them fail now could cause a new one, as might the collapse of any systemically important financial institution. For now, we’re stuck with them. Let’s just stipulate that Fannie and Freddie were a cause of the crisis, even a big one, and leave it at that. The crucial discussion our leaders need to be having now is how to end them. . ."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Home prices continue to drop - turnaround in 2015?
- Is Newt Gingrich Clueless?
- Only Romney beats Obama in Swing States
- Abolish all Public Pensions and Lower College Tuition
- Joe Scarborough on Newt Gingrich
- A question Mitt Romney would never ask nor need to
- The Eurozone's problem in one sentence
- State of the Union and entitlement reform
- Like All Demagogues, Gingrich needs the zeal of a mob
- Newt Gingrich Tax Cheat - Forbes
- Jobs: We don't talk enough about solutions
- Ann Coulter: ‘With Newt Gingrich you throw out the...
- Obama Team Dream: GOP Nominee Newt Gingrich
- GOP: It's starting to look like 1964
- European Banks: Caveat Emptor
- Housing in the US: still on taxpayer life support
- Going from Bad to Worse: Rick Perry Dropping Out; ...
- Random Notes for a January Wednesday
- You think we have a progressive income tax system?
- Romney at Bain Capital: Impressive
- Eurozone: Portugal's borrowing costs soar
- Eurozone: austerity equals contraction
- The Fed: Clueless
- Aon: US tax system causing move from Chicago
- SOPA and PIPA: take action now
- Daley - no major role in Obama Campaign
- Reason Enough To Not Vote for Obama
- Here's the real election story of the day
- You think the December jobs report is good news?
- Rick Santorum: serial hypocrite and record of betr...
- Everything you need to know about Washington in on...
- NDAA 2012--one more reason to NOT vote for Obama
- The Contagion of Denial
- Iowa: good news for Republicans and Romney
- College Football: Paying the Players is an Issue t...
- Eurozone 2012: Greece, Italy, France
- ▼ January (36)