Congress is about to kill the economy. Only internet businesses would have to deal with thousands of taxing jurisdictions, instead of just the jurisdiction where they are physically located. This bill is not only unfair, it may be unconstitutional under the equal protection clause of the Constitution.
If this passes the House, Republicans can forget about taking the Senate, and better prepare for a Democratic House of Representatives.
Why I Oppose the Internet Tax Bill | RealClearPolitics: Senator Ted Cruz: " . . . Consider this: Online and catalogue retailers with gross sales of $1 million -- a level that is mom & pop size in many places -- will be forced to collect sales taxes for the country’s 9,600 state and local tax jurisdictions. Just as Obamacare punishes small business with taxes and regulations for employing more than 50 people, this legislation would punish small businesses for making more than $1 million in sales. For many businesses it may be more beneficial to make less money than to keep track of all the different taxes. Small and medium-size businesses would be subjected to monthly or quarterly tax returns to all 46 states who collect sales tax; in addition, one amendment likely to be added to the bill would also include all 565 federally recognized Indian tribes in the definition of “state,” so businesses would need to collect applicable taxes for them, too. As if that wasn’t enough, each of the nearly 10,000 jurisdictions gets to have its own tax rates and sales tax holidays with thresholds and caps. Each state can give sellers their own “tax app” and it’s up to the seller to pay for integration into their in-house systems for ordering, fulfillment, and accounting. Keep in mind, each state still gets to have its own audit, forms, tax base, and definitions. That means every online seller could be subject to dozens -- or eventually hundreds -- of audits each year. So, how is this fair? After all, brick and mortar stores aren’t subjected to all these rules. Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/05/05/why_i_oppose_the_internet_tax_bill_118255.html#ixzz2SZ3fg36q
Sen. Ted Cruz slams Internet sales tax bill - Washington Times: "Mr. Cruz . . . called the Internet a “thriving ecosystem” that has allowed new businesses to “compete in the national marketplace in ways that would have been impossible 15 years ago, and it empowers consumer choice.” “But tax-hungry politicians view the Internet as yet another source of revenue to bail out their big-spending governments,” Mr. Cruz wrote in an op-ed article for Real Clear Politics. “The misleadingly titled ‘Marketplace Fairness Act’ is a job-killing tax hike, plain and simple. It is, in effect, a national Internet sales tax, which would hammer the little guy and benefit giant corporations.”"
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- Sex doesn't sell
- UK tax debate and Google
- How much do Fannie and Freddie still owe US? Every...
- Listen to Chen Guangcheng, blind Chinese activist
- Why Microsoft should ditch Windows Phone and go An...
- The Internet's Darkening Digital Future
- A Global Liquidity Trap
- "The world in the next five years is NOT going 100...
- Mark Sanford on his Comeback (Video)
- Senators, the problem is Washington, not Apple
- Windows 8 - WTF do we do?
- Microsoft, Windows 8, Learning Curves, Live Tiles,...
- Memo to Obama: this is YOUR government, YOUR admin...
- How Not to Get Anyone's Attention
- Apple Missing Out as Global Carriers Balk
- Benghazi Truths and Disgusting Democrats
- President Obama joked in 2009 he could use the IRS...
- White House Meets Privately with Press to Discuss ...
- Obama’s claim he called Benghazi an ‘act of terror...
- In Washington--business as usual
- Benghazi E-Mails Show Obama Administration Came Up...
- Obama administration used IRS to target conservati...
- Hillary Clinton Disqualified by Benghazi
- Is This Why The Obama Administration Lied About Be...
- Wireless Accessory Makers Think Beyond Apple
- End of Megaupload Case?
- Self-radicalized - the new face of terrorists?
- Lindsey Graham: 'Dam is about to break' on Benghaz...
- Senator Ted Cruz Speaks in Opposition to the Inter...
- Internet sales tax bill is unfair and a job killer...
- When Facebook Bought Instagram
- Obamacare Cost Explosion Begins to Hit
- Benghazi - Obama and Clinton lied
- Flying the idiotic US Government Skies
- ObamacareFail - Health Law Provision for Small Bus...
- BlackBerry CEO thinks BlackBerry will dominate App...
- ▼ May (36)
- ► 2012 (423)