GSE stands for Government Sponsored Enterprise and that is exactly what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are--entities created by the US Government. Fannie and Freddie were bailed out by the US government in the housing crash, but their history is filled with corruption, political contributions (some would call them "kickbacks") and other sordid tales of overpaid incompetent executives and worse--about what you would expect of any "Government Sponsored Enterprise." Now, stories appear throughout mainstream media whose implied line is to remove direct US involvement and return to the pre-bubble (i.e., corrupt) status of both organizations. Better idea--abolish both entities and return mortgage markets to regular market entities--bankers, mortgage lenders, etc.
How much do Fannie and Freddie still owe us? - CBS News: " . . . the U.S. government stands to potentially make a profit on its massive bailout of the two mortgage giants after they unilaterally failed in the fall of 2008. This raises a bunch of new questions about the future of Fannie and Freddie. There's been a lot of talk in Washington about shifting the role the two companies have in the mortgage market and bringing private companies back to the secondary mortgage market plate. Now that Fannie and Freddie are operating as government cash cows, with all their profits going into a general fund that the Treasury may spend as it pleases, it might be harder for the government to give them up."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- Sex doesn't sell
- UK tax debate and Google
- How much do Fannie and Freddie still owe US? Every...
- Listen to Chen Guangcheng, blind Chinese activist
- Why Microsoft should ditch Windows Phone and go An...
- The Internet's Darkening Digital Future
- A Global Liquidity Trap
- "The world in the next five years is NOT going 100...
- Mark Sanford on his Comeback (Video)
- Senators, the problem is Washington, not Apple
- Windows 8 - WTF do we do?
- Microsoft, Windows 8, Learning Curves, Live Tiles,...
- Memo to Obama: this is YOUR government, YOUR admin...
- How Not to Get Anyone's Attention
- Apple Missing Out as Global Carriers Balk
- Benghazi Truths and Disgusting Democrats
- President Obama joked in 2009 he could use the IRS...
- White House Meets Privately with Press to Discuss ...
- Obama’s claim he called Benghazi an ‘act of terror...
- In Washington--business as usual
- Benghazi E-Mails Show Obama Administration Came Up...
- Obama administration used IRS to target conservati...
- Hillary Clinton Disqualified by Benghazi
- Is This Why The Obama Administration Lied About Be...
- Wireless Accessory Makers Think Beyond Apple
- End of Megaupload Case?
- Self-radicalized - the new face of terrorists?
- Lindsey Graham: 'Dam is about to break' on Benghazi
- Senator Ted Cruz Speaks in Opposition to the Inter...
- Internet sales tax bill is unfair and a job killer
- When Facebook Bought Instagram
- Obamacare Cost Explosion Begins to Hit
- Benghazi - Obama and Clinton lied
- Flying the idiotic US Government Skies
- ObamacareFail - Health Law Provision for Small Bus...
- BlackBerry CEO thinks BlackBerry will dominate App...
- ▼ May (36)
- ► 2012 (423)