Saturday, May 12, 2012
Will Higher Tax Rates Balance the Budget?
As the U.S. debt and deficit grows, some politicians and economist have called for higher tax rates in order to balance the budget. The question becomes: when the government raises taxes, does it actually collect a larger portion of the US economy?
Professor Antony Davies examines 50 years of economic data and finds that regardless of tax rates, the percentage of GDP that the government collects has remained relatively constant. In other words, no matter how high government sets tax rates, the government gets about the same portion. According to Davies, if we're concerned about balancing the budget, we should worry less about raising tax revenue and more about growing the economy. The recipe for growth? Lower tax rates and a simplified tax code.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- We Can't Afford War No More
- Chen Guangcheng was not an exceptional case
- Greece: “The situation is getting out of hand”
- An Exit Strategy for Greece et al
- The Truth About Private Equity
- The Next Pension Crisis
- Obama's Problem In A Nutshell
- Barney Frank Does Not Want Secret Service at Wedding
- What's wrong with Obama's Bain ad?
- Obama: Losing Women
- Obama: Running a Losing Campaign
- Good News for Android Users
- Obama's in charge - be careful where you fly!
- The Facebook Fad
- No "bot" here
- In JPMorgan Chase Trading Bet - read the fine print
- Greece and the Eurozone: Voting with your Money
- How I Fixed the Tax Code (In Half a Day)--another ...
- The Greek Drachma Cometh--are the Fed and U.S. Tre...
- James Carville: Democrats could lose
- EPA Official On Oil Companies: 'Crucify Them'
- Will Higher Tax Rates Balance the Budget?
- Student Debt--a problem the government created
- More on Obama's "Evolution"
- President Obama Flip-Flops on Gay Marriage
- Google rebuffs FCC -- yeah Google!
- FTC Wastes Taxpayer Funds "Investigating" Google
- You can forget about housing coming back soon
- Real Estate Trend: downsize for hassle-free living
- Enjoy the day by the sea
- Loeb Demands Yahoo Board Fire CEO
- Best time to send email so it will get read
- Scriptkitty Dreams [video]
- Gallup: U.S. Unemployment Rate Up in April to 8.6%
- Obama's dog-eating jokes make crategate a non-issue
- California Student Had To Drink His Own Urine To S...
- The Hard Thing CEOs and Presidents Have To Do
- Dan Rather: Mitt Romney has "a good chance of beco...
- ▼ May (38)