No matter whether you think the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were correct or mistakes--it is clear the costs of those wars are going to be hard to "justify"--and for those Democrats and Republicans who are concerned about "deficit spending"--I've got news: we can't afford wars like Iraq and Afghanistan no more--and the greatest cost is human:
U.S. vets' disability filings reach historic rate – USATODAY.com: "America's newest veterans are filing for disability benefits at a historic rate, claiming to be the most medically and mentally troubled generation of former troops the nation has ever seen. A staggering 45% of the 1.6 million veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are now seeking compensation for injuries they say are service-related. That is more than double the estimate of 21% who filed such claims after the Gulf War in the early 1990s . . . these new veterans are claiming eight to nine ailments on average, and the most recent ones over the last year are claiming 11 to 14. By comparison, Vietnam veterans are currently receiving compensation for fewer than four, on average, and those from World War II and Korea just two. . . Government officials and some veterans' advocates say that veterans who might have been able to work with certain disabilities may be more inclined to seek benefits now because they lost jobs or can't find any. . . As the U.S. commemorates the more than 6,400 troops who died in post-Sept. 11, 2001 wars, the problems of those who survived also draw attention. These new veterans are seeking a level of help the government did not anticipate, and for which there is no special fund set aside to pay."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- We Can't Afford War No More
- Chen Guangcheng was not an exceptional case
- Greece: “The situation is getting out of hand”
- An Exit Strategy for Greece et al
- The Truth About Private Equity
- The Next Pension Crisis
- Obama's Problem In A Nutshell
- Barney Frank Does Not Want Secret Service at Weddi...
- What's wrong with Obama's Bain ad?
- Obama: Losing Women
- Obama: Running a Losing Campaign
- Good News for Android Users
- Obama's in charge - be careful where you fly!
- The Facebook Fad
- No "bot" here
- In JPMorgan Chase Trading Bet - read the fine prin...
- Greece and the Eurozone: Voting with your Money
- How I Fixed the Tax Code (In Half a Day)--another ...
- The Greek Drachma Cometh--are the Fed and U.S. Tre...
- James Carville: Democrats could lose
- EPA Official On Oil Companies: 'Crucify Them'
- Will Higher Tax Rates Balance the Budget?
- Student Debt--a problem the government created
- More on Obama's "Evolution"
- President Obama Flip-Flops on Gay Marriage
- Google rebuffs FCC -- yeah Google!
- FTC Wastes Taxpayer Funds "Investigating" Google
- You can forget about housing coming back soon
- Real Estate Trend: downsize for hassle-free living...
- Enjoy the day by the sea
- Loeb Demands Yahoo Board Fire CEO
- Best time to send email so it will get read
- Scriptkitty Dreams [video]
- Gallup: U.S. Unemployment Rate Up in April to 8.6%...
- Obama's dog-eating jokes make crategate a non-issu...
- California Student Had To Drink His Own Urine To S...
- The Hard Thing CEOs and Presidents Have To Do
- Dan Rather: Mitt Romney has "a good chance of beco...
- ▼ May (38)