The Greeks (and who can blame them?) have had enough already with Eurozone "austerity" which, afterall, was a cruel "hoax" (zero chance of success) the Eurozone imposed on Greece in order to "save" French and German banks, and now the endgame is playing out--
Brace, brace. Dark times ahead as Greece heads for the exit - Telegraph: " . . . If Greece redominates all its debts in cut price drachmas, the ECB and its backers – in particular the German Bundesbank – will take a terrible hit, but it won't be terminal. The Bundesbank would most likely simply write off its Target 2 lending to Greece, which would certainly be a major curiosity given its abhorrence of debt monetisation but wouldn't of itself destroy either the Bundesbank or the euro.
The threat comes instead from market contagion to other eurozone countries worst hit by the debt crisis. To Germany, Greece has always been a special case, a nation which cheated its way into the euro, whose citizens are lazy and won't pay their taxes, and is in any case basically ungovernable. There is a very different attitude to Spain and Italy. Germany's determination to make the rest of the eurozone work should not be underestimated. . . ."
As the Telegraph points out, once Greece leaves the euro, the Germans will begin to realize the euro could all come down (as a flawed currency, it probably will inevitably) and focus diligently on (and be preoccupied with) Spain and Italy--but what about Greece? Greece may be small but its membership in NATO and its strategic location make it too important to be left adrift--Bernanke and Geithner better be ready to step into the breach and extend Greece a "helping hand."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- We Can't Afford War No More
- Chen Guangcheng was not an exceptional case
- Greece: “The situation is getting out of hand”
- An Exit Strategy for Greece et al
- The Truth About Private Equity
- The Next Pension Crisis
- Obama's Problem In A Nutshell
- Barney Frank Does Not Want Secret Service at Weddi...
- What's wrong with Obama's Bain ad?
- Obama: Losing Women
- Obama: Running a Losing Campaign
- Good News for Android Users
- Obama's in charge - be careful where you fly!
- The Facebook Fad
- No "bot" here
- In JPMorgan Chase Trading Bet - read the fine prin...
- Greece and the Eurozone: Voting with your Money
- How I Fixed the Tax Code (In Half a Day)--another ...
- The Greek Drachma Cometh--are the Fed and U.S. Tre...
- James Carville: Democrats could lose
- EPA Official On Oil Companies: 'Crucify Them'
- Will Higher Tax Rates Balance the Budget?
- Student Debt--a problem the government created
- More on Obama's "Evolution"
- President Obama Flip-Flops on Gay Marriage
- Google rebuffs FCC -- yeah Google!
- FTC Wastes Taxpayer Funds "Investigating" Google
- You can forget about housing coming back soon
- Real Estate Trend: downsize for hassle-free living...
- Enjoy the day by the sea
- Loeb Demands Yahoo Board Fire CEO
- Best time to send email so it will get read
- Scriptkitty Dreams [video]
- Gallup: U.S. Unemployment Rate Up in April to 8.6%...
- Obama's dog-eating jokes make crategate a non-issu...
- California Student Had To Drink His Own Urine To S...
- The Hard Thing CEOs and Presidents Have To Do
- Dan Rather: Mitt Romney has "a good chance of beco...
- ▼ May (38)