I listened to Cory Booker (Democratic Mayor of Newark, New Jersey) on Meet the Press yesterday--very impressive guy and hopefully he is indicative of the future of the Democratic Party. Mayor Booker said he personally found the Obama campaign tactics of demonizing Romney (see Obama "Bain Capital" ads) and smearing Romney campaign contributors, "nauseating." At the same time, it is worth noting that the Romney campaign has refrained from personal demonizing of Obama (see Romney's rejection of Rev. Wright ads) and has not run smear campaigns against Obama's campaign contributors.
All campaigns are full of "noise" and "craziness." There are always "haters" on both ends of the spectrum. The mark of integrity is to say "no" and draw limits in the public interest of good government. As I've said before, no matter the outcome of the Presidential campaign, the Obamas and the Romneys will personally be just fine. The question is, what about the country and its future? If you have to win by "demonizing" your opponent and "smearing" his campaign contributors, what does that say about the future of this country, much less the leadership qualities of the candidate who allows his campaign to engage in such destructive tactics?
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- We Can't Afford War No More
- Chen Guangcheng was not an exceptional case
- Greece: “The situation is getting out of hand”
- An Exit Strategy for Greece et al
- The Truth About Private Equity
- The Next Pension Crisis
- Obama's Problem In A Nutshell
- Barney Frank Does Not Want Secret Service at Wedding
- What's wrong with Obama's Bain ad?
- Obama: Losing Women
- Obama: Running a Losing Campaign
- Good News for Android Users
- Obama's in charge - be careful where you fly!
- The Facebook Fad
- No "bot" here
- In JPMorgan Chase Trading Bet - read the fine print
- Greece and the Eurozone: Voting with your Money
- How I Fixed the Tax Code (In Half a Day)--another ...
- The Greek Drachma Cometh--are the Fed and U.S. Tre...
- James Carville: Democrats could lose
- EPA Official On Oil Companies: 'Crucify Them'
- Will Higher Tax Rates Balance the Budget?
- Student Debt--a problem the government created
- More on Obama's "Evolution"
- President Obama Flip-Flops on Gay Marriage
- Google rebuffs FCC -- yeah Google!
- FTC Wastes Taxpayer Funds "Investigating" Google
- You can forget about housing coming back soon
- Real Estate Trend: downsize for hassle-free living
- Enjoy the day by the sea
- Loeb Demands Yahoo Board Fire CEO
- Best time to send email so it will get read
- Scriptkitty Dreams [video]
- Gallup: U.S. Unemployment Rate Up in April to 8.6%
- Obama's dog-eating jokes make crategate a non-issue
- California Student Had To Drink His Own Urine To S...
- The Hard Thing CEOs and Presidents Have To Do
- Dan Rather: Mitt Romney has "a good chance of beco...
- ▼ May (38)