And this is a real positive trend, for a change --
"After three decades of steep increases in total incarceration and incarceration rates, the last three years have seen the total incarcerated population in the United States decrease, as well as the incarceration rate. At the same time, some disparities between blacks and whites in the criminal justice system have also been reduced. The politics of crime, which used to know only one register—“tough on crime”—and used to be dominated by mandatory minimums, three-strikes laws and elimination of parole, has changed. In recent years, half of all U.S. states have enacted legislation designed to reduce reliance on incarceration, shorten sentences, reintroduce parole and generally shrink the size of our incarcerated population. We still lead the world in incarceration rates, but these trends are encouraging. Moreover, none of these changes has led to any significant increase in crime. We can, it turns out, be smart on crime." - David Cole, Professor, Georgetown University Law School
Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/12/overlooked-trends-of-2013-101491.html#ixzz2pwfiqjhW
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- Abby Martin Censored, Wikipedia, Editing Truth, Mo...
- My Take on Obama's State of the Union and the GOP ...
- First Amendment protection for bloggers
- State of the Union Address? Nobody is Going to Wat...
- FTC punishment against Apple 'has no foundation'
- Market Realizing Central Bank Policies Can't Go On...
- Davos wrap-up: Orgy of Out of Touch Billionaires (...
- Martin Sorrell, Money Shouldn't Be Your Objective ...
- Who Killed Net Neutrality? Obama and his FCC appoi...
- The Bad Way to Reduce Unemployment, Labor Particip...
- Congress, Bridgegate, TPP Fast Track
- The Biggest Overlooked Trend of 2013
- The Fed, QE, Forecasts
- Google+, Identity, Hysteria
- Obama's best speech ever because of Snowden's NSA ...
- How Many Apps Do You Need?
- Informed, Misinformed, Depends on What You Read
- al-Qaeda has a new poster boy
- Productivity, Technology, Economic Growth
- Google, NASA, Quantum Artificial Intelligence Lab ...
- Obama and His Sickening Double Standard Justice
- Bitcoin, High-Tech Poseur
- Thanks to the Fed, Without Bubbles There Is No Eco...
- The Obama Era, Democrats, Drones National Security...
- My Next Computer? A Chromebook
- Rich States, Poor States, It Makes a Difference Wh...
- Bitcoin, medium of exchange yes, but not a reasona...
- President Obama's BIGGEST Lie in 2013
- Glenn Greenwald Keynote on 30c3 (video)
- NSA Analyst: "We Could Have Prevented 9/11"
- The Snowden Effect
- Peter Schweizer talks about his book, Extortion: H...
- ▼ January (32)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)