Washington's (meaning the entrenched and corrupt governmental, political, K Street, and media establishment) worst nightmare: its complete disruption in the form of Edward Snowden, Laura Poitras, Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, and their progeny, soon to be escalated, expanded, and well-funded by a multi-billionaire with the same idealistic motives, and none too soon:
An Interview With Pierre Omidyar - NYTimes.com: "Q: This next step seems focused on secrecy and transparency. What pulled you in that direction?
A: A number of things happened: Even before the Snowden leaks, we saw a number of what I would characterize as missteps by the Justice Department. We saw the Justice Department wiretap the A.P. newsroom. We saw [Fox News reporter James] Rosen being labeled as co-conspirator label in affidavits; we see the many leak prosecutions including the use of the Espionage Act. It alerted me to the fact that even in this great country of ours with this fantastic Constitution, there’s a real pressure against press freedoms that’s going on. Perhaps unintentionally in the hot pursuit of leakers and trying to protect secrets, we are really putting pressure on press freedom here. When you have mass surveillance, it’s impossible to meet the intent of the First Amendment because reporters can’t talk to sources because sources are afraid to talk." (read more at link above)(emphasis added)
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- Quantitative Easing, Fed Pumping Up Wall Street, Q...
- Another Obamacare bombshell (video)
- Qualcomm CEO Says NSA Fallout Impacting Its Business
- This Is What a "rubber-stamp" "kangaroo" Secret Co...
- Obama, Broken Technology, Inept Leadership
- Malala Yousafzai (Video)
- Obama The Great Incompetent and His Inept Administ...
- Show me the money! Obama breaking records in his q...
- New York City elects Mayor "Hollande" - Get Out Wh...
- The Trial of Bo Xilai (video)
- Washington Disruption
- The Snowden Leaks, Changing the Rules of the Game
- Best Case, Worst Case, Scenarios For US In Syria
- Obama, A Victim of His Own Success
- Adrian Cardenas, Losing Yourself in the Game
- March Against the Mainstream Media November 16 (vi...
- Obama, Promises Made, Promises Broken
- Elizabeth Warren 2016
- US Navy joins NSA in US intelligence snafus
- US ethanol programs destroying the environment
- Obama promises to fix problem he created: millions...
- Obama's DOJ vs Levison's Lavabit
- The Inept President of the United States
- Twitter IPO
- NSA, Awash in Data, No Actionable Intelligence
- US Media Fabrication, Snowden Clemency Plea
- Asylum for Snowden, Telling the Truth is not a crime
- Fed Is Stuck In a QE Trap
- Cognitive Dissonance, US Media bias is pro-NSA
- NSA Congressional Oversight, Joke of the Year
- ▼ November (30)
- ► 2012 (423)