Here's another take on why the headline unemployment rate peddled by Washington is misleading--
Why the unemployment rate is so misleading - Rex Nutting - MarketWatch: What’s the ‘real’ unemployment rate? . . . . If we really want to understand the health of the labor market, it’d be best to focus on employment and unemployment of the working-age population, 25 to 65, and leave millions of teenagers and octogenarians out of the equation. Unfortunately, this data isn’t published by the government in the monthly employment report, and it isn’t seasonally adjusted, so it’s harder to analyze. But it is available on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website. In 2012, the participation rate for the working-age population was 77.5%, down about three percentage points from the peak of 80.2% in 1997. Find the data yourself. . . .It means that the vast majority of working-age adults, men and women, are working or looking for work. But it also means that many millions have given up hope of finding a job. Some of them will never work again. If the participation rate were where it was in 2007, about 3 million more working-age adults (age 25-65) would be in the labor force, and the unemployment rate for that group would be about 9%, instead of 6.8%. . . .
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Why the unemployment rate is misleading
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- Government owns the Housing disaster (video)
- The truth about Iraq
- Sailing with Albert Einstein
- QE Sedative
- Self-Inflicted Damage Of The Google Brand
- Why Don't Corporations Pay Taxes Like The Rest of Us?
- Missing Chinese Tycoon
- FBI Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Request (video)
- Gangsterville Chicago
- Google's First Really Dumb Decision
- Jeremy Grantham on the global economy
- The Fed has created a new bubble
- Why the unemployment rate is misleading
- Lessons for the Obama administration: Doing More W...
- Federal Judge Finds Obama Administration "National...
- White House silent on Dow record high
- Orwellian Washington Speak - the "Good" Job Numbers
- Obamacare causing the loss of full-time jobs
- The Obama Legacy so far, is a Nightmare
- Obama and his administration are lying about effec...
- ICANN has breached its duties to maintain an open,...
- Why the Pension Gap Is Soaring
- SEC snoozed on Money Funds, now it's a sore loser
- The Obama Sequester Revelation
- New Simpson-Bowles plan
- Our Debt, Ourselves, and the Future
- Incomes Flat in Recovery, but Not for the 1%
- Obama's Dream World of Unlimited Government Spendi...
- Google Helped Honor FTC Chairman During Agency Inq...
- Sequestration Is Much Ado About Nothing (video)
- Obama Is Playing a Loser's Game
- What government can and cannot do
- ▼ March (32)
- ► 2012 (423)