No one quite knows or will probably ever know the exact financial cost of Iraq and Afghanistan . . . Some estimates put it at $1 trillion, some $2 trillion. --Peggy Noonan, infra
All in all, it was an object lesson in the dangers of groupthink, a demonstration of how important it is to listen to skeptical voices and separate reporting from advocacy. But as I said, it’s a lesson that doesn’t seem to have been learned. --Paul Krugman, infra
On the 10th anniversary of the Iraq war, it is worth reflecting on how a nation could throw away a trillion dollars or more on a needless war--
Noonan: Can the Republican Party Recover From Iraq? - WSJ.com: "Mr. Powell told the U.N. Saddam Hussein must be stopped and asserted that Iraq had developed and was developing weapons of mass destruction. That turned out not to be true."
Who's responsible for this gigantic, colossal, miscalculation? The US "intelligence community" (what an oxymoron) probably ranks up there, as well as Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld, and of course the rest of the Washington political establishment and its "establishment media" as Paul Krugman has pointed out. Let's face it--government, with support from mainstream media, made the mistake; government wasted the resources; and everybody in Washington, Republican and Democrat (with just a few exceptions) is guilty of the malfeasance and negligence which led to this tragedy and waste.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- Government owns the Housing disaster (video)
- The truth about Iraq
- Sailing with Albert Einstein
- QE Sedative
- Self-Inflicted Damage Of The Google Brand
- Why Don't Corporations Pay Taxes Like The Rest of Us?
- Missing Chinese Tycoon
- FBI Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Request (video)
- Gangsterville Chicago
- Google's First Really Dumb Decision
- Jeremy Grantham on the global economy
- The Fed has created a new bubble
- Why the unemployment rate is misleading
- Lessons for the Obama administration: Doing More W...
- Federal Judge Finds Obama Administration "National...
- White House silent on Dow record high
- Orwellian Washington Speak - the "Good" Job Numbers
- Obamacare causing the loss of full-time jobs
- The Obama Legacy so far, is a Nightmare
- Obama and his administration are lying about effec...
- ICANN has breached its duties to maintain an open,...
- Why the Pension Gap Is Soaring
- SEC snoozed on Money Funds, now it's a sore loser
- The Obama Sequester Revelation
- New Simpson-Bowles plan
- Our Debt, Ourselves, and the Future
- Incomes Flat in Recovery, but Not for the 1%
- Obama's Dream World of Unlimited Government Spendi...
- Google Helped Honor FTC Chairman During Agency Inq...
- Sequestration Is Much Ado About Nothing (video)
- Obama Is Playing a Loser's Game
- What government can and cannot do
- ▼ March (32)
- ► 2012 (423)