This is a follow-up to my post Government We Can Afford.
Education in the US is in crisis. What to do? There is an easy, elegant solution.
Quit feeding the beast and allow parents (remember them?) to choose the best schools for their children. How? Use most of the federal money (and encourage state governments to do likewise) now being funneled to the states from the federal Department of Education to fund a "federal voucher program" whereby each child in the U.S. has a federal voucher which his/her parent(s) can assign annually for education to any duly qualified/accredited school (public, charter, private, etc.) of their choice.
What do the taxpayers expect to get in return? Schools that are accountable, transparent, competent, and actually achieving the education objectives and goals which must be set by government--e.g., common core standards and core curriculum requirements, periodic transparent testing and assessments.
Oh, I know this proposal will not be popular with a lot of entrenched bureaucrats, public teacher unions, etc. But remember, the present system is broke and isn't working. Past time to try something else. As usual the simple, elegant solution is best (source: a solution may be considered elegant if it uses a non-obvious method to produce a solution which is highly effective and simple. An elegant solution may solve multiple problems at once, especially problems not thought to be inter-related).
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- How's the US Doing?
- Obamacare: when is "not a tax" a tax?
- Steve Jobs Told Obama, 'You're Headed For A One-Te...
- The problem with mainstream media "journalism"
- Why Everyone Should Only Get Their News From The I...
- The Truth about China?
- Parsimony and American Justice
- The Parsimony Principle - How "justice" becomes un...
- What needs to be done
- Law and Order - 15 years for using Skype!
- Paul Krugman at the London School of Economics (vi...
- Microsoft Surface vs Apple iPad: the coming battle
- 5 Tips To Toughen Passwords
- State-sponsored attacks using IE to hijack GMail
- It's all Greek to me! (Sunday Election Results)
- Europeans Dig Themselves Deeper
- BBC - Virtual Reality Trumps Reality!
- Adios Microsoft Unless You Fix This!
- The Wreck at the White House
- Internet as Police State
- The Devil Wears Obama?
- Paul Krugman on Newsnight video
- What Small Business Wants From Washington
- Health care--yes it's a mess (and expensive!)
- Defense--what and how much do we need?
- Education--an easy solution
- Social Security and Pensions--what's the future?
- Government We Can Afford
- Rejection -- a Good Teacher
- "More Government" is NOT the "Answer"
- Mary Meeker: Internet Trends Presentation
- UN to regulate the Internet? A VERY BAD IDEA
- ▼ June (32)