According to the new Newt Gingrich, he is going to be the Republican nominee for President--he's got a lock, no need to have any primaries, everybody can stay home and call off the campaigns. While some may dismiss this as hubris, I'll take it at face value.
Of course, I'm sure if the Obama folks were as confident as Newt that he was going to be the Republican nominee, they would already be celebrating and drinking green beer in Chicago.
But let's assume for the moment that Newt is right, he is going to be the Republican nominee, what does that mean? It means that all of the BAGGAGE of the old and new Newt Gingrich will weigh down not only the Republican race for President, but the Republican candidates for Senate, House of Representatives, etc. Independent voters and thoughtful Republicans will be running to the polls to vote Democrat. This is truly a Democrat Party's dream come true (and I am sure they are all now "pulling for Newt" to be the Republican nominee).
It's not just that Newt's a "stupid man's idea of what a smart man sounds like" (Paul Krugman). No, that 's just a liberal talking, here are examples (out of many) from two smart conservatives:
George Will: Newt's candidacy "embodies almost everything disagreeable about modern Washington."
Bruce Bartlett (Bruce Bartlett held senior policy roles in the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations and served on the staffs of Representatives Jack Kemp and Ron Paul): Gingrich--"unfit for office."
And these are Republicans talking about Newt--wait till Axelrod and Company get going--they will have a field day! Of course, it won't be the first time that the GOP decided to commit political suicide on a national scale. No, the problem for the GOP with the new Newt Gingrich is that he is the same old Gingrich.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)
- 'Dinner for One' featuring Sarkozy and Merkel [VIDEO]
- Five 2012 Economic Predictions
- Predictions 2012: Technology
- Predictions: 2012 Presidential Race
- Merry Christmas to All from under the Palm
- Resources for the 2012 U.S. Election
- The higher education bubble is about to burst
- Why the UK is a better bet than France
- Can somebody put Newt Gingrich back on his chain?
- Sarkozy's euroenvy is isolating France
- Response to Petition on the Abolishment of the Tra...
- Romney leads in Iowa - Interview [VIDEO]
- All You Need to Know about the Eurosummit
- The Germans and French just did something Very Stupid
- The Race for President
- Oops!--RIM dumps BBX name
- Europe’s disastrous summit--I'm with Felix
- Ron Paul ad on Newt Gingrich (video)
- Remaking the euro zone in Germany’s likeness
- Intelligent People talking about the Economy repla...
- Gingrich - more "baggage" surfaces
- S&P Creditwatch Negative: Germany, France
- Re: ICANN - somebody in Washington is listening
- The Problem with the new Newt Gingrich
- Intelligent People talking about the Economy
- ▼ December (25)