Predictions regarding technology for 2012 (in no particular order):
1. RIM (BlackBerry): continuing decline in market share as new (BlackBerry 10) models have now been delayed to late 2012--in the meantime Apple and Android will continue to iterate, dominate, and leave RIM in the dust. Meanwhile Microsoft/Nokia launch their own offensive with new Windows Phone models. If I were in Waterloo, I would be shopping what's left of RIM to potential bidders--Amazon?
2. Facebook has reached a plateau in U.S. growth, will launch their IPO (finally) and will face the challenges of being a mature company in a constantly changing landscape. Google+ and Twitter will continue to grow and provide alternatives for those unwilling to succumb to social media according to Zuckerberg.
3. Yahoo--too bad for its stockholders that Microsoft's offer wasn't accepted in 2008 ($44.6 billion/ $31 a share)--now it's too late--another company destroyed by corporate egos (are you listening RIM?). Maybe Yahoo (which has a pretty nice email platform) can find a buyer (Amazon? Facebook?) who can take what's left after shedding its asian "assets."
4. Microsoft--can it reinvent itself? So far, Microsoft, at best, has had mixed results in its attempts to keep up with Google and Apple. Microsoft should own home the TV market with the Xbox--watch Apple and Google take it away in 2012.
5. Amazon, Apple, Google--these are the ones to watch in 2012 as they continue to iterate and launch new products--e.g., watch all three go head-to-head in tablets in 2012.
6. Finally, keep an eye on a new disruptor--Republic Wireless--the business concept makes a lot of sense and will give AT&T, Verizon et al a lot of potential low-end competition.
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)
- 'Dinner for One' featuring Sarkozy and Merkel [VID...
- Five 2012 Economic Predictions
- Predictions 2012: Technology
- Predictions: 2012 Presidential Race
- Merry Christmas to All from under the Palm
- Resources for the 2012 U.S. Election
- The higher education bubble is about to burst
- Why the UK is a better bet than France
- Can somebody put Newt Gingrich back on his chain?
- Sarkozy's euroenvy is isolating France
- Response to Petition on the Abolishment of the Tra...
- Romney leads in Iowa - Interview [VIDEO]
- All You Need to Know about the Eurosummit
- The Germans and French just did something Very Stu...
- The Race for President
- Oops!--RIM dumps BBX name
- Europe’s disastrous summit--I'm with Felix
- Ron Paul ad on Newt Gingrich (video)
- Remaking the euro zone in Germany’s likeness
- Intelligent People talking about the Economy repla...
- Gingrich - more "baggage" surfaces
- S&P Creditwatch Negative: Germany, France
- Re: ICANN - somebody in Washington is listening
- The Problem with the new Newt Gingrich
- Intelligent People talking about the Economy
- ▼ December (25)