In Defense of Leakers: Snowden and Manning : The New Yorker: "We still don’t know for sure what will happen to Snowden or Manning: the former appears destined to a life of exile, for now, at least, in a repressive country; the latter, for many more years in a military jail. (He’s already been in custody for almost three years, including in solitary confinement for eleven months—a treatment that a senior United Nations official charged with investigating allegations of torture described as cruel and inhuman.) We do know that, at great cost to themselves and their families, Snowden and Manning have illuminated much that the authorities would have preferred to keep hidden, and that they have sparked a long overdue public debate about what the Times, in its editorial about the Manning verdict, justly described as “a national security apparatus that has metastasized into a vast and largely unchecked exercise of government secrecy and the overzealous prosecution of those who breach it.” In short, the two leakers have performed a valuable public service."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- Why Are Ted Cruz and Tea Party Republicans Trying ...
- Pathetic American Media
- Jeremy Scahill on Obama supporters and their hate ...
- Obama, Obamabots, Objects of Ridicule (video)
- Chicago Murder Capital, Obama Says Nothing
- Valuable public service, Leakers, Whistleblowers, ...
- Restricted Stock, Stock Options, Greed
- Journalists, Propagandists, Mainstream Media
- The New York Times, Naive or Corrupt Propagandists...
- The Big Divide, Harvard Business School
- Small Business Owners, Vacations, Obama
- NSA broke privacy rules thousands of times
- Al Jazeera America destined for failure
- Whistleblowers, Manning Sentence, Snowden, Lessons...
- Winklevoss Twins Revenge: Summers withdraws from F...
- US, Russia, solve the Syria problem, peacefully
- David Miranda was carrying password for secret fil...
- Reasons you don't want to live in China
- The Struggle for Growth, Not Just China
- Money for Nothing, Inside the Federal Reserve (vid...
- Obama wants the US to help Al Qaeda slaughter Syri...
- Bubbles, Financial Deregulation, Banks Gone Wild
- Syria, Obama's Humiliating Defeat
- Abby Martin Debunks Syria War Propagandists (video...
- Majority in US House Oppose Obama's Lunacy on Syri...
- Ted Cruz: US Is Not 'Al-Qaeda's Air Force'
- Larry Summers, the Fed, Continuity?
- Why Princeton and Every University Inc Should Pay ...
- FISA Court Knew the NSA Lied Repeatedly
- Obama, Syria, Nevermind
- Obama, Surveillance State, Crisis on the Left
- ▼ September (31)
- ► 2012 (423)