Why Windows 8 will fail as a desktop OS--gorilla arm, finger grease, and the dumbed-down OS--
Why Touch Screens Will Not Take Over: Scientific American: ". . . the tingling ache that came from extending my right arm to manipulate that screen for hours, an affliction that has earned the nickname of gorilla arm. Some experts say gorilla arm is what killed touch computing during its first wave in the early 1980s. (Another problem is finger grease. You can clean a phone's screen by wiping it on your jeans, but that's not as convenient with a 32-inch monitor.) . . . Windows 8 is actually two operating systems in one. . . the underlying Windows desktop has the too-small-targets problem. The angle and distance of PC screens are tougher nuts to crack. Microsoft is betting that Windows 8 will be so attractive that we won't mind touching our PC screens, at least until the PC concept fades away entirely. Yet although PC sales have slowed, they won't be zero any time soon. My belief is that touch screens make sense on mobile computers but not on stationary ones. Microsoft is making a gigantic bet that I'm wrong."
Microsoft is losing that bet, big time.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- World is right to worry about US debt
- Police, Not Prisons, Cut Crime
- The History Trap
- This is why there is no tax reform
- £1bn Google London headquarters
- Obama still cleaning up the George W. Bush mess
- Another shooting victim in America's murder capital
- Lawmakers slam DOJ prosecution of Swartz as 'ridic...
- Lofgren to introduce bill amending hacking law in ...
- Davos and the broken Western state model
- Santa Clara County economy best performing
- Government's Biggest Tax Bite
- The Beginning of American Decline?
- Windows 8 Is a Massive Microsoft Fail
- 2012 Election not a Mandate for either Obama or th...
- How Low Will Microsoft Go?
- Social Security - Why It’s Worse Than You Think
- Obama Administration's "Finest Hour"
- What is Driving US Health Care Spending
- Microsoft sweating the assets?
- Health Care Costs Driving Deficits
- Vitter: Harry Reid "an idiot" for Katrina comments...
- You gotta problem with Hagel or Brennan?
- Apotheker's Legacy of Wrecking HP Continues
- Antitrust, Politics, Economics
- Google Has Learned The Ways of Washington--Governm...
- The FTC, Microsoft and Google
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi -- Car of the Year!
- FTC Announcement Concerning Its Investigation of G...
- 13 Predictions for 2013
- 2012 Losers in the Political Realm
- What you should know about the fiscal cliff deal
- Way to Go Microsoft! -- Windows 8 Adoption Rate Tr...
- ▼ January (33)
- ► 2012 (423)