Social Security and Dysfunctional Washington--
Social Security - It’s Worse Than You Think - NYTimes.com: " . . . For the first time in more than a quarter-century, Social Security ran a deficit in 2010: It spent $49 billion dollars more in benefits than it received in revenues, and drew from its trust funds to cover the shortfall. Those funds — a $2.7 trillion buffer built in anticipation of retiring baby boomers — will be exhausted by 2033, the government currently projects. Those facts are widely known. What’s not is that the Social Security Administration underestimates how long Americans will live and how much the trust funds will need to pay out — to the tune of $800 billion by 2031, more than the current annual defense budget — and that the trust funds will run out, if nothing is done, two years earlier than the government has predicted. We reached these conclusions, and presented them in an article in the journal Demography, after finding that the government’s methods for forecasting Americans’ longevity were outdated and omitted crucial health and demographic factors. . . ."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- World is right to worry about US debt
- Police, Not Prisons, Cut Crime
- The History Trap
- This is why there is no tax reform
- £1bn Google London headquarters
- Obama still cleaning up the George W. Bush mess
- Another shooting victim in America's murder capital
- Lawmakers slam DOJ prosecution of Swartz as 'ridic...
- Lofgren to introduce bill amending hacking law in ...
- Davos and the broken Western state model
- Santa Clara County economy best performing
- Government's Biggest Tax Bite
- The Beginning of American Decline?
- Windows 8 Is a Massive Microsoft Fail
- 2012 Election not a Mandate for either Obama or th...
- How Low Will Microsoft Go?
- Social Security - Why It’s Worse Than You Think
- Obama Administration's "Finest Hour"
- What is Driving US Health Care Spending
- Microsoft sweating the assets?
- Health Care Costs Driving Deficits
- Vitter: Harry Reid "an idiot" for Katrina comments...
- You gotta problem with Hagel or Brennan?
- Apotheker's Legacy of Wrecking HP Continues
- Antitrust, Politics, Economics
- Google Has Learned The Ways of Washington--Governm...
- The FTC, Microsoft and Google
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi -- Car of the Year!
- FTC Announcement Concerning Its Investigation of G...
- 13 Predictions for 2013
- 2012 Losers in the Political Realm
- What you should know about the fiscal cliff deal
- Way to Go Microsoft! -- Windows 8 Adoption Rate Tr...
- ▼ January (33)
- ► 2012 (423)