Tuesday, April 24, 2012
The Party Is Over? Really?
The government agency throwing $1m parties as the US tightens its belt - Telegraph: "While everyday Americans are forced to contend with sky high unemployment and a moribund economy, one US government department has found the austerity diet altogether more fattening. The General Services Administration – the agency charged with maintaining buildings and buying supplies for the US government – is facing a backlash that is gripping the country. As Congress prepares to face the headache of spending reductions and the expiry of tax cuts early next year, politicians are letting out their frustrations on the GSA and its luxurious habits. At the centre of the furore is a four-day conference GSA hosted for 300 of its staff at a luxury Las Vegas hotel. Employees were allegedly entertained by clowns, comics and mind-readers and fed fine food in a blow-out event that cost almost $1m (£623,000). The revelations – revealed in a report by a US watchdog tasked with controlling government spending and involving business suppliers that could also come under the spotlight – have provoked apoplexy. “The party is over,” thundered California Senator Barbara Boxer at one of four hearings Congress held this week into the GSA’s spending."
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Why are Taxpayers Paying for Obama's Campaign?
- Escaped Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng speaks ou...
- The Secret Service and Strippers--Not Secret Anymo...
- Are you sure you want to re-elect Barack Obama?
- All you need to know about Election 2012
- The California Nightmare
- The Party Is Over? Really?
- Leadership, not popularity or likability
- Media Inaccuracy: So Much for Headlines
- Barack Obama's re-election bid is already in deep ...
- Keep the Internet Free: ACTA treaty ‘dead in the w...
- Meet the Romneys
- 2012 Presidential Election Projection
- What's it going to look like November 7th?
- ICANN Corrupts Internet With New Domains
- Spanish banks now "mainlining" ECB cash
- Democrats painting Mitt Romney as Don Draper--cool...
- All You Need To Know About the Gingrich Campaign
- Caspsize Rescue: 10 people in a 14-foot boat?
- Failed Florida reef -- one more "good idea" gone b...
- Ann Romney video
- Dogging Mitt Romney
- Google and Privacy: Nothing Evil
- Hey, you're not unemployed, you're "not in Labor F...
- Magic City on Starz
- Google, Larry Page, Steve Jobs, and Apple: a diffe...
- Hey President Obama, ever hear of Marbury v. Madis...
- The Eurozone Disease
- Don't Trust Those "In Charge"
- Obama: A Failed Presidency?
- What You Need To Know About The U.S. Housing Marke...
- ▼ April (31)