Not only the New York Times, but most of mainstream media in general -- what's the problem? The BLS model is bad, it only goes back 3 years, therefore the DATA is bad upon which its ASSUMPTIONS are based: "The BLS only looks at the past 3 years to figure out what a "typical" September (or October or November, etc.) looks like. So, if there's, say, a once-in-three-generations financial crisis in the fall, it could throw off the seasonal adjustments for quite awhile. Which is, of course, exactly what happened. The BLS's model didn't know about Lehman. It only knew about the calendar. So it saw all the layoffs in late 2008 and early 2009, and interpreted them the only way it knew how: as seasonality, not a shadow banking run. And that messed things up for years. Because the BLS's model thought the job losses from the financial crisis were just from winter, it thought those kind of job losses would happen every winter.... Just how bad are the data? Well, keep in mind that the jobs report's margin of error is supposed to be about 90,000. But these post-crisis seasonal errors have almost doubled it to about 170,000. That's right: the jobs report's real margin of error has been about as big as the average jobs report itself the past few years.... (source infra)
That's right--when you read in the New York Times (based on a BLS report) that 170,000 jobs were created last month, the ACTUAL figure could be -0-. Garbage in, garbage out.
How Bad Data Warped Everything We Thought We Knew About the Jobs Recovery - Matthew O'Brien - The Atlantic: "Bottom line: Almost six and a half years (mid 2007) ago two million more people were working than are employed today. That's an extremely dismal record " (READ more at link above)
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Thursday, October 3, 2013
Why the New York Times is wrong about a jobs recovery
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- US Government is its own worst enemy
- Obama continued and expanded Bush-Cheney abuses
- The Clueless President
- SXSW, rotten culture, contempt, condescension, pri...
- What were Ted Cruz and the Tea Party Thinking?
- Motivational Quotes (slides)
- Edward Snowden, No Regrets (video)
- A Woman Blogger, the NSA, US Senate, Real Journalists
- For the NSA the worst is yet to come, accountability
- Incompetent Obama Administration Does It Again, Ob...
- The Real Bad News No One (in media or government) ...
- US Government vs the American People in the Bush-O...
- New York Times Discovers Its Own Confirmation Bias
- NSA, What Is The ROI?
- Shutdown ended, debt default averted, but not for ...
- Snowden: Mass Surveillance Is a Threat (Video)
- Obama to Congress: My Way or the Highway (video)
- Opt Out Of Google Plan to Sell Users Endorsements
- Greenwald vs New York Times
- Why Everyone (including the Government) Is Stupid
- NSA, a privacy-violating mess, Government out-of-c...
- Obama, America, banana republic, deadbeat nation
- NSA Data Center Meltdown -- Snowden?
- Bernanke's Failures, Unemployment, The Value of Mo...
- GOP needs to call out Obama on his government shut...
- Was deadly force necessary in DC? No, but does it ...
- End of US Imperium
- One Big Trader Lost Millions Betting on Romney
- Why the New York Times is wrong about a jobs recovery
- Plutocrats, Persecution, Sociopaths
- NSA Abuse and Incompetence, Time To Shut It Down
- ▼ October (31)
- ► 2012 (423)