Can the FISC Fix the N.S.A.? Not Alone. : The New Yorker: " . . . What does the metadata program look like in opinions expected to be secret? A 2009 FISC order and other documents declassified last week—the A.C.L.U. and Electronic Freedom Foundation had filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit to get them—described “compliance incidents,” which was a way of saying that the manner in which the N.S.A. ran certain programs was a privacy-violating mess. It had used thousands of telephone numbers that it had no good reason to connect to terrorism to run queries with the metadata, and then explained the violation in a way that, as Judge Reggie Walton wrote, “strains credulity,” while “repeatedly submitting inaccurate descriptions” of what it was doing. Supposedly, those particular problems have been fixed. A senior intelligence official, briefing reporters about the documents, presented this chapter, according to the Times, as a series of mistakes: “There was nobody at N.S.A. who really had a full understanding of how the program was operating at the time.” So who does now?"
Nobody fully understood (even inside the NSA!) what the NSA was doing. Nobody was in charge. A secret Court was befuddled. A NSA out of control. Congressional oversight? LOL. And remember Obama's defense of the NSA when these revelations came to light? That's the kind of inept and incompetent government, unfortunately, we have in the US at present.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- US Government is its own worst enemy
- Obama continued and expanded Bush-Cheney abuses
- The Clueless President
- SXSW, rotten culture, contempt, condescension, pri...
- What were Ted Cruz and the Tea Party Thinking?
- Motivational Quotes (slides)
- Edward Snowden, No Regrets (video)
- A Woman Blogger, the NSA, US Senate, Real Journalists
- For the NSA the worst is yet to come, accountability
- Incompetent Obama Administration Does It Again, Ob...
- The Real Bad News No One (in media or government) ...
- US Government vs the American People in the Bush-O...
- New York Times Discovers Its Own Confirmation Bias
- NSA, What Is The ROI?
- Shutdown ended, debt default averted, but not for ...
- Snowden: Mass Surveillance Is a Threat (Video)
- Obama to Congress: My Way or the Highway (video)
- Opt Out Of Google Plan to Sell Users Endorsements
- Greenwald vs New York Times
- Why Everyone (including the Government) Is Stupid
- NSA, a privacy-violating mess, Government out-of-c...
- Obama, America, banana republic, deadbeat nation
- NSA Data Center Meltdown -- Snowden?
- Bernanke's Failures, Unemployment, The Value of Mo...
- GOP needs to call out Obama on his government shut...
- Was deadly force necessary in DC? No, but does it ...
- End of US Imperium
- One Big Trader Lost Millions Betting on Romney
- Why the New York Times is wrong about a jobs recovery
- Plutocrats, Persecution, Sociopaths
- NSA Abuse and Incompetence, Time To Shut It Down
- ▼ October (31)
- ► 2012 (423)