Wolverton: Windows 8's awkward interface makes it one for PC users to avoid - SiliconValley.com: "As a PC user, I hate -- a word I use sparingly -- the new interface that is the centerpiece of Windows 8. With the new version of its flagship operating system, due out Friday, Microsoft has replaced its tried-and-true desktop interface with what it called until recently the Metro interface. Instead of a start button, taskbar and windows filled with applications and folders, Metro features a screen full of program "tiles" and applications that run full-screen. While I think this interface has a lot of promise for tablets, on a traditional desktop or laptop computer, or even on a newer notebook sporting a touch screen, it's clunky and unintuitive. Metro often feels like a work in progress, because seemingly obvious features are unavailable. And worst of all, Metro makes it much harder than before to do everyday tasks and real work on your computer. Take the idea of viewing multiple applications on your screen, a core feature of Windows since even before Windows 95. You can't do it in the Metro interface."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Final Caveat on Windows 8
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Howard Dean may be right: Let’s Go Over the Fiscal...
- Windows 8 fails on desktop
- Quote of the Year
- Government, Antitrust, and Cartels
- New FCC rules will let a single company own a town...
- Think the U.S. doesn't have debtor prisons?
- Season's Greetings
- Windows XP Tablet -- think what might have been
- Gas tax hike could be part of fiscal cliff solution
- Google Revenues Sheltered in No-Tax Bermuda
- Pronouncements, Predictions, and Projections
- State Department Blamed for Benghazi Disaster not ...
- New home sales stagnant, cast shadow on housing
- Susan Rice and her political ambitions
- FTC nominee Joshua Wright to skip Google cases
- WCIT2012 -- the Debacle in Dubai
- McAfee settling into Miami - 'will not go back to ...
- More video from McAfee
- John McAfee - the CNBC interview (video)
- "Do you not know with how little wisdom the world ...
- The 90s Economic Boom Is Not Coming Back
- Declining Jobless rate due to shrinking labor forc...
- UN's ITU Should Be Dismantled says Former White Ho...
- ITU Proves It Is Unfit To Regulate the Internet
- John McAfee: "I wish I could just pack my bags and...
- Sticking With Windows 7
- The Payroll Tax - the problem and part of the solu...
- Cuba, free speech, and internet freedom
- The American brand and DHS
- Final Caveat on Windows 8
- Take Action: Add Your Voice to Keep the Internet #...
- Microsoft Windows 8: welcome to the worst in both ...
- Cat Signal Issued by Internet Defense League
- Early sales of Windows 8 are far below Microsoft’s...
- ▼ December (34)