Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Matt Dowd talks with Bloomberg's Tom Keene about the latest from the 2012 presidential campaign, and likens Mitt Romney's relationship with the Republican party to that of an arranged marriage. He speaks on Bloomberg Television's "Bloomberg Surveillance."
If you had told me six months ago the state of the Romney campaign as it exists today, I would not have believed you. I mean, you really have to "work at it," to get a campaign in this state of disarray--most of which is self-inflicted by the candidate and his key campaign leadership. It's not just one thing, it's a culmination of things--and now the Obama campaign is capitalizing on all the Romney fumbles and bumbles by (mostly) "staying quiet" and acting "Presidential"--smart move. If Obama can keep his campaign staff muzzled, and maintain his calm, Presidential demeanor through it all, my best guess today is he will be re-elected in spite of the terrible economy, unemployment rate, weak record, etc. My reading is Romney is "done"--he's (and/or his campaign) made too many mistakes, lost too much credibility, alienated too many voters. Remember his foreign trip? Insulted the British on the eve of the London Olympics, acted like Sheldon Adelson's lap dog in Israel, alienated the Palestinians and most of the Arab world, offended Putin; and apparently he wants to start a trade war with China. That's a full plate--covers everything from alienating our best ally to a war of mutual economic destruction with our biggest foreign creditor. Is this the way he ran Bain Capital?
You add to that the fact that he now appears to be trying to supplant Obama as the "Great Divider" (47% etc.), won't release tax returns, is a rich guy who was a rich kid and as a result, now appears to be tone-deaf and out-of-touch when it comes to average Americans--I could go on, but what's the point?
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Why the Debates Don't Matter
- Rare Albino Whale Off Coast of Australia (video)
- Why South Korea Can Avoid a Financial Meltdown
- QE3's Biggest Winner? Take a Hard Look at Gold (vi...
- Rare 2-Ton Blue Whale Spotted Off Aussie Coast (vi...
- This Always Bugged Me
- Denial is a river . . . in the Romney Campaign
- Just how inept is the Obama administration?
- Canada for President?--if only we could
- Whitney: Up to 100,000 Layoffs On the Way
- North Florida's rural economy: Tourism, Farming, P...
- Primer: Brazil’s Rise to Global Player video
- Romney Campaign Is a Slow-motion Train Wreck
- Romney Campaign Self-destruction in Action
- How to shrink government
- Federal Reserve Re-inflating the U.S. Housing Bubb...
- Naval Power Massing in Gulf as Israel Prepares
- Google stands up for Free Speech and rejects Obama...
- What's Wrong With Romney?
- Attack in Libya - Obama and Hilary need to explain...
- Mitt Romney’s statement on the Libya ambassador at...
- Living Amid Ruins in Haiti video
- Chicago shows failing of Obama Democratic Party Po...
- Why Commodities Are Beating Equities and Bonds (v...
- U.F.O. Home video
- Are We Running Out of Spectrum? (video)
- Saving Blue Whales
- The "Economy Election" - no recovery "in sight"
- Apple and Amazon Security Led to Epic Hacking
- Robert J. Samuelson: Grading Obama
- The Democrats, God and Jerusalem video
- FTC v. Google
- Obama and the Downward Spiral For America
- U.S. Postal Service reports $5.2-billion loss
- So long summer 2012 (video)
- Obama's "Culture Of Fraud" Campaign
- A Factory Grows in Haiti (video)
- Canes have an explosive "true freshman" running ba...
- Digg did something very stupid
- ▼ September (39)