Samuelson (Washington Post) grades Obama "C- or D" (poor) for all of his term excepting the "first six months"--
Robert J. Samuelson: Grading Obama’s economics - The Washington Post: " . . . For the first six months, I’d award him (Obama) an A-; for the rest, a C- or D. . . . The recovery is subpar. After the economy hit bottom in mid-2009, it has grown at a feeble 2.2 percent annual rate. By contrast, growth in the nine other recoveries since 1950 has averaged 4.2 percent for their first three years. During the slump, the economy lost 8.8 million jobs. Only 4 million, less than 50 percent, have returned. The grim job figures explain “why a great many people don’t believe there’s a recovery,” says economist Nariman Behravesh of IHS. Obama can’t escape some responsibility for this dismal performance. His mistake was assuming he could pursue his political agenda without compromising the recovery. Passing the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare) weakened the economy. For starters, the complex law discourages job creation by forcing some firms to provide health insurance or pay a fine. If you make hiring harder and costlier, you will get less of it."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- Why the Debates Don't Matter
- Rare Albino Whale Off Coast of Australia (video)
- Why South Korea Can Avoid a Financial Meltdown
- QE3's Biggest Winner? Take a Hard Look at Gold (vi...
- Rare 2-Ton Blue Whale Spotted Off Aussie Coast (vi...
- This Always Bugged Me
- Denial is a river . . . in the Romney Campaign
- Just how inept is the Obama administration?
- Canada for President?--if only we could
- Whitney: Up to 100,000 Layoffs On the Way
- North Florida's rural economy: Tourism, Farming, P...
- Primer: Brazil’s Rise to Global Player video
- Romney Campaign Is a Slow-motion Train Wreck
- Romney Campaign Self-destruction in Action
- How to shrink government
- Federal Reserve Re-inflating the U.S. Housing Bubble
- Naval Power Massing in Gulf as Israel Prepares
- Google stands up for Free Speech and rejects Obama...
- What's Wrong With Romney?
- Attack in Libya - Obama and Hilary need to explain...
- Mitt Romney’s statement on the Libya ambassador at...
- Living Amid Ruins in Haiti video
- Chicago shows failing of Obama Democratic Party Po...
- Why Commodities Are Beating Equities and Bonds (v...
- U.F.O. Home video
- Are We Running Out of Spectrum? (video)
- Saving Blue Whales
- The "Economy Election" - no recovery "in sight"
- Apple and Amazon Security Led to Epic Hacking
- Robert J. Samuelson: Grading Obama
- The Democrats, God and Jerusalem video
- FTC v. Google
- Obama and the Downward Spiral For America
- U.S. Postal Service reports $5.2-billion loss
- So long summer 2012 (video)
- Obama's "Culture Of Fraud" Campaign
- A Factory Grows in Haiti (video)
- Canes have an explosive "true freshman" running back
- Digg did something very stupid
- ▼ September (39)