EUobserver.com / Economic Affairs / ECB will not become bank of last resort, Draghi says: ""What makes you think that to become the lender of last resort for governments is actually the thing that you need to keep the eurozone together?" he (European Central Bank President Mario Draghi) said in response to a question on the issue following a meeting of the eurozone bank's governing council. "No I don't think that is in the remit of the ECB. The remit of the ECB is maintaining price stability over the medium term," he added." http://euobserver.com/19/114163
Paul Krugman (Nobel prize-winning economist) in the New York Times: "I’ve been charting this trainwreck for a couple of years . . . Let’s just say that the euro was an inherently flawed idea that can work only given a strong European economy and a significant degree of inflation, plus open-ended credit to sovereigns facing speculative attack. Yet European elites embraced the notion of economics as morality play, imposing across-the-board austerity, tightening money despite low underlying inflation, and have been too concerned with punishing sinners to notice that everything was going to blow apart without an effective lender of last resort. The question I’m trying to answer right now is how the final act will be played. . . ."
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)
- Finding your passion (video)
- Why a Stimulating Job Can Improve Your IQ (video)
- Germany: Going Down with the Ship
- The Rich get Richer (and Bigger) thanks to the Fed
- Saving a dinosaur, part 2: Overhauling the Post Of...
- Saving a dinosaur: the US Postal Service (video)
- Yankeegroup: Facebook Falls Low on Consumers' List...
- Pick Your Poison: ECB as lender of last resort
- Eurocontagion: caveat emptor!
- Pimco's El-Erian Calls U.S. Economy `Terrifying' (...
- Eurozone: the confidence fairy’s not coming
- Why the U.S. desperately needs tax reform
- When Government is the Problem, Entrepreneurs will...
- Yes Fiscal Policy Matters, but What Kind of Stimulus?
- Money Quote of the Week
- Angela Merkel to Europe: "You vill obey!"
- Google Stands Up for Internet Freedom
- Stop SOPA
- The 2 things you need to know about Newt Gingrich ...
- PIMCO's Mohamed El-Erian: politicians need to reco...
- Warren Buffett on the deficit: spending has to com...
- Warren Buffett: Romney is strongest GOP candidate
- Romney leads--Republicans coming to their senses
- B&N asks DOJ to investigate Microsoft
- The euro, it turns out, was not a good idea
- Cuba Today: The Struggle Continues
- Debate wrap-up and what most media missed
- Now for the Italian Job
- ZDNet: Chrome is the best web browser
- The Giant of Redmond Is Not Sleeping--Why Microsof...
- Italy: end game time
- Denial is a river . . . in Europe, part 2
- To the 'Occupy London Stock Exchange' protesters, ...
- Denial is a river . . . in Europe
- David Cameron: "There is a global storm in the wor...
- ▼ November (35)