Great article on the best show on traditional TV, now in its 3rd season -- (read full article at link below, excerpt follows) --
Emily Nussbaum: “Sherlock” and Its Audiences : The New Yorker: " . . . Holmes sees connections but can’t connect. He’s like a Google algorithm, if it were sexy and wore dashing wool coats. Halfway through his best-man speech, he describes a case in which a number of lovelorn women have had one-night stands with a “ghost” who disappears the next day. Sherlock gathers these lonely hearts in an elegant auditorium, where he interrogates them, searching for a pattern. It’s only gradually, as the camera toggles from closeups to dramatic shots from above, and then abruptly to images of Sherlock in his office, that we recognize what we’re actually seeing: a poetic representation of a virtual experience—Holmes is online, meeting the women through a discussion board. When his conversations end, the women vanish, and he closes his laptop. The show is at its best in such moments, these sequences that capture the semi-virtual, semi-real ways that we think, and feel, and meet, and connect today. It’s a rare attempt to make visible something that we take for granted: a new kind of cognition, inflected by passion, that allows strangers to think out loud, solving mysteries together."
Watch a free episode online here. (expires 3/4/2014)
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- US Senator Rand Paul vs Obama and the NSA
- Looting, Detroit Pensions, Politicians Never Say No
- Public Policy Failures, Illinois vs Texas and Indiana
- Obama Causes US to Fall in Global Press Freedom Ra...
- European Debt Crisis Visualized (video)
- Using Government to Stop Competition
- Get Rid of the Fed Dual Mandate Before It Complete...
- The Five Surveillance Myths Stalling NSA Reform
- US in decline and denial, Texas moves ahead (slides)
- Mortgage Delinquencies, the Disaster Still to Come
- Our Biggest Problem: Elitists Running the Federal ...
- PIMCO, Bill Gross, Medieval Investment Outlook
- Jesse Ventura, off the grid, hiding from drones
- Congressman Mike Rogers, His History of Fabrications
- Obamacare Is The Political Issue 2014
- Rand Paul opens a crack in the Facade
- Our Unfair Tax Code, Corporate Tax Havens
- First Look Media (video)
- Companies Flee US Tax System (video)
- Retail Stores Closing, Rotting Homes, Gundlach, Su...
- Chinese Billionaires Are Not Buying Superyachts (v...
- What you need to know about Cybersecurity (NPR audio)
- Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt, Rules for ...
- How Do You Fire Someone? A Billionaire Tells You (...
- Sherlock, Season 3, Free Episode
- One More Reason Why I Cut the Cord and said goodby...
- Obama proposes creation of six more Solyndras
- 6 Worst Members of Congress (video)
- ▼ February (28)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)