When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Sunday, October 2, 2011
FEMA's new normal, NOAA's phony hurricane, and the need for reform
Federal Budget Makes Case FEMA Reforms Needed: "For the first nine months of 2011, FEMA has issued 222 declarations, which is a single-year record and a 41 percent increase over the previous record of 157 declarations set in 1996, when President Bill Clinton was running for reelection. FEMA has issued 84 Major Disaster Declarations this year, which also is a record.
This pace of declarations is draining the DRF at a pace of $30 million to $40 million per day.
For perspective on FEMA’s “new normal,” Hurricane Irene—barely a Category 1 hurricane when it finally struck the U.S.—resulted in Major Disaster Declarations for 12 states, largely for flooding. In sharp contrast, just six years ago, Hurricane Katrina—America’s costliest disaster by tens of billions of dollars, with more than 60,000 square miles impacted—resulted in just four states receiving Major Disaster Declarations. Texas did not even receive a Major Disaster Declaration for Hurricane Katrina."
I guess we've had "disaster inflation" under the Obama administration--spend, spend, spend . . . . . Particularly when you consider that Irene wasn't even a hurricane when it approached and finally reached New York-- http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/08/when-did-irene-stop-being-hurricane.html
My prediction is that with the election coming up in 2012, the next 14 months will be the most "disastrous" in our history.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)
- Europe: the crisis is not over--
- Recovering from Leo--HP to Keep PC Business
- Europe's temporary solution (video)
- Lombardi Says Europe Crisis Remedies Could Fall Sh...
- What were they thinking? Magical thinking!
- Jeffrey Friedman: Regulators' Ignorance Contribute...
- Time for R&R: 36 Hours in South Beach (video)
- The GOP has a problem
- European debt crisis talks plunged into chaos
- Alabama: not the anwer to illegal immigration
- GOP debate October 18th - my take
- KPCB Internet Trends (2011) (Mary Meeker)
- Going off-grid: 6 days on Little Deadman's Cay, Ba...
- At the precipice--this is not good--Europe rejects...
- Ann Coulter on the GOP presidential field: Romney ...
- Ben Bernanke's Darkest Fears (funny video)
- Is the U.S. becoming a Third-World Nation? -video
- William Bennett to Robert Jeffress: "You did Rick ...
- The Bank of England moves aggressively in face of ...
- Apple's design wizard has not left the building
- Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address
- OK, Christie is not running--now what? Here's my t...
- Rethinking Government 101
- Obama’s Jobs Bill: Hire somebody who's not unemplo...
- FEMA's new normal, NOAA's phony hurricane, and the...
- ▼ October (25)