When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
Friday, September 2, 2011
How a free economy can create jobs
In the midst of all the doom and gloom on the economic front, the pundits have all been focused on Washington--Obama, Congress, and the Fed, when the truth is they can have very little impact (other than negative) on creating jobs in the private sector in the near term (and in view of the current political stalemate). Reforming the tax system would help--but it'll take a political miracle, so don't hold your breath. Less oppressive regulation?—Yes, by all means get government off the back of business, innovators, and entrepreneurs.
In the midst of it all, free enterprise (where unhindered by regulation and other governmental barriers) strives against the countervailing forces--here's one current example:
Topshop, the hipster clothing chain from Britain, plans to debut on the Mag Mile (Chicago) Sept. 8. The fashion chain is taking over the corner space formerly occupied by Borders book stores at 803 N. Michigan Ave. The 49,000-square-foot space will house Topshop in the basement and first floor. Topman, the men's division, will be located on the second floor. The store joins rivals H&M and Zara and Forever 21 on Chicago’s famous shopping boulevard..
No stimulus funding, no special tax package, just free enterprise at work. Oh and by the way, Topshop's current plans for further U.S. expansion? British news reports suggest that Topshop also plans to introduce outlets in Los Angeles, Miami and New York. http://www.vancouversun.com/life/cheap+chic+Topshop+fashion+retailer+open+Vancouver/5267618/story.html#ixzz1WotHI38d
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)
- Larry Page with Eric Schmidt at Zeitgeist Americas...
- More Paul Krugman on highly educated ignorance
- Goodbye Greece and Goodbye Euro
- Petition to abolish the TSA
- A vote for Meg
- Google’s Business Principles
- Elvis has left the building - Quitting w/o notice
- Rick Perry and Crony Capitalism: Guilty beyond rea...
- Wall Street friends and public employee unions
- From Bad to Worse: the Impoverishment of the Unite...
- Why the UK should thank Gordon Brown
- Mayor Emanuel--one Democrat who "gets it"--explode...
- Krugman on "highly educated ignorance"
- Free calls home from Gmail for all U.S. service me...
- "3 days a week of mail, possibly in 15 years" - Ho...
- How a free economy can create jobs
- ▼ September (16)