Can Corruption Be Eradicated?: "....It seems unlikely that any outside force can introduce enough carrots and sticks to persuade a country to reform its political system. When Romania was campaigning for admission to the European Union, in 2003, it launched an anticorruption drive, and appointed a tough justice minister who spurred a series of corruption cases against senior officials. As soon as Romania joined the E.U., in 2007, the campaign fizzled, the justice minister was fired, and the cases were dropped. “A fish rots from the head,” Chayes observes, and, in the absence of national leaders with integrity and political will, it doesn’t appear that the United States will be able to reverse the pathologies in Afghanistan, Iraq, or any other country, notwithstanding Washington’s share in creating and sustaining some of those pathologies. Indeed, we may struggle to differentiate between the kinds of patronage that might assuage a population—the “glue” that Thomas Barfield describes—and the state-sanctioned larceny that Chayes argues, convincingly, is a threat not just to Afghanistan’s national security but to that of the United States...." (read more at the link above)
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- Gary Shilling on Why You Should Own Bonds
- Gary Shilling, Abundance Of Commodities (video)
- Why Austerity Will Not Save Greece (video)
- Corruption, Eradicated?
- America, China, Economic Parity
- Brexit Unlikely If EU Terms Renegotiated says Bori...
- Greece vs Europe, Who Will Blink First? (video)
- What is Happening? Get the Important Stuff Using O...
- Burning Man, Will the Billionaires be Kicked Out? ...
- US, Afghanistan, Iraq, Corruption, Waste
- Global Monetary Policy, What Central Bankers are W...
- US Travel and Medical Companies, New Opportunities...
- Scope of Permissible Cuba Transactions
- Economy: Housing Weak due to Consumer Debt, Credit...
- Gold Standard, Central Banks, Economic Outcomes
- Secular Stagnation, Debt Overhang, Sluggish Growth...
- Ann Pettifor on Europe (video)
- Starbucks Coffee, Seattle, Pike Place Market, CEO ...
- World Economic Forum, Highlights From Davos 2015 (...
- ▼ February (19)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)