Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, SW
Washington D.C. 20554
May 7, 2014
Dear Chairman Wheeler and Commissioners Clyburn, Rosenworcel, Pai, and O’Reilly:
We write to express our support for a free and open internet. Over the past twenty years, American innovators have created countless Internet-based applications, content offerings, and services that are used around the world. These innovations have created enormous value for Internet users, fueled economic growth, and made our Internet companies global leaders. The innovation we have seen to date happened in a world without discrimination. An open Internet has also been a platform for free speech and opportunity for billions of users.
The Commission’s long-standing commitment and actions undertaken to protect the open Internet are a central reason why the Internet remains an engine of entrepreneurship and economic growth.
According to recent news reports, the Commission intends to propose rules that would enable phone and cable Internet service providers to discriminate both technically and financially against Internet companies and to impose new tolls on them. If these reports are correct, this represents a grave threat to the Internet.
Instead of permitting individualized bargaining and discrimination, the Commission’s rules should protect users and Internet companies on both fixed and mobile platforms against blocking, discrim- ination, and paid prioritization, and should make the market for Internet services more transparent. The rules should provide certainty to all market participants and keep the costs of regulation low.
Such rules are essential for the future of the Internet. This Commission should take the necessary steps to ensure that the Internet remains an open platform for speech and commerce so that America continues to lead the world in technology markets.
Vonage Holdings Corp.
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? -- John Maynard Keynes
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- New York Times Internal Report, Dire Digital Pictu...
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Failed Reforms, Massiv...
- Federal Reserve Policy, Malinvestment, the Economy
- Glenn Greenwald on Edward Snowden, Daniel Ellsberg...
- Glenn Greenwald on Mainstream Media, Blogging, and...
- Glenn Greenwald, MSNBC, Mika Brzezinski, June 2013...
- Glenn Greenwald on the Dogs in His Life
- Glenn Greenwald, Privacy, The Right To Be Let Alone
- Glenn Greenwald on Hillary Clinton for President
- Glenn Greenwald on Being Gay, Adversarial
- Steve Wynn, George Clooney Is Wrong, I Did Not Cal...
- Why Wall Street Jobs Are Disappearing (video)
- Corporate Tax Havens (video)
- China, Weak Growth Momentum (video)
- Steve Wynn says US Government Less Business-Friend...
- $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier, Costliest Ship Ever ...
- Ian Bremmer, Ukraine Crisis, Obama Failure (video)
- Glenn Greenwald, Edward Snowden, Good Online Reads
- More Than A Million Kids Doing Nothing After Gradu...
- Restaurant Industry Pay, Taxpayers Double Burden
- Collapse of the United States, the Detroit Denial ...
- Fed Worry About a Stagnant US Economy (video)
- US Tech Opposes FCC Wheeler's Plan to Kill the Int...
- Illinois the Worst State, Residents Want Out
- Vested Interests, Washington DC, Political Poison
- The US is an Oligarchy
- The QE Delusions of the Federal Reserve
- New Home Sales Plunge, Experts Consensus Wrong Again
- 9.1 Million US Homes Underwater, a Silver Lining
- FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler Still "Doesn't Get It"
- China to overtake USA as World's Largest Economy t...
- ▼ May (31)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)