A former insider at Research in Motion has revealed much about what is wrong with the company--http://www.businessinsider.com/ex-rim-employee-2011-6 -- excerpts:
The problem is that they brim with hubris regarding their success in the corporate market and are culturally blind to the gaping holes in their armor regarding consumer. They honestly think they understand consumer product, business, mentality, marketing - but they really don't. . . . Most of the design decisions at RIM are made by 50 something engineers, otherwise highly accomplished and credible in the field of engineering. But since they've lived most of their lives in the rural areas of Southern Ontario, and don't have any real background or even social sensibility for culture, design and such issues, they're woefully unqualified for the task of aesthetic judgment. . . .They don't speak the language of 'the creative process' and would probably laugh at anyone who did. . . . it is unacceptable in this day and age that a global brand should have the vast majority of its citizens derived from a section of a small province . . . . If Apple were to be based in Wisconsin, and drew most of their talent from the state area, I'm sure Wall St. would wonder what is going on. Again - to compound the problem - it's an issue that RIM isn't really aware of. Perhaps they are intellectually, but they don't 'get it', in this regard.
Saturday, June 18, 2011
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (368)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)
- Buried in the fine print--not a strong case agains...
- Google and Competition
- Viva Google!
- Wall Street profits while Main Street is still suf...
- Yeah, if I owned stock in RIMM, I'd be selling too...
- You fix the budget
- A connected world
- General government gross debt (% of GDP)
- How bad is it for BlackBerry? Read this--
- APPLE hopes to break ground next year--move in by ...
- Meredith Whitney on Municipal Debt and Housing
- Soros is selling his gold — should you too? Matthe...
- Recommend you divert your course
- ▼ June (13)