You can read Mathias Döpfner’s open letter to Eric Schmidt at the link below (excerpt follows):
Mathias Döpfner’s open letter to Eric Schmidt: "....This also includes the fiction of the culture of free services. On the Internet, in the beautiful colorful Google world, so much seems to be free of charge: from search services up to journalistic offerings. In truth we are paying with our behavior – with the predictability and commercial exploitation of our behavior. Anyone who has a car accident today, and mentions it in an e-mail, can receive an offer for a new car from a manufacturer on his mobile phone tomorrow. Terribly convenient. Today, someone surfing high-blood-pressure web sites, who automatically betrays his notorious sedentary lifestyle through his Jawbone fitness wristband, can expect a higher health insurance premium the day after tomorrow. Not at all convenient. Simply terrible. It is possible that it will not take much longer before more and more people realize that the currency of his or her own behavior exacts a high price: the freedom of self-determination. And that is why it is better and cheaper to pay with something very old fashioned – namely money. Google is the world’s most powerful bank – but dealing only in behavioral currency. Nobody capitalizes on their knowledge about us as effectively as Google. This is impressive and dangerous...."
No Google isn't dangerous, but governments are -- here's the difference: Yes, Google wants to know all about you (likes, dislikes, habits, preferences) in order to provide better, more responsive services to your needs--i.e., search, maps, email, etc, and to serve you relevant ads, BUT Google does NOT care who you are--your preference data is known but your personal identity is irrelevant to Google because they only want a commercial relationship with you, not a personal relationship. Governments, on the other hand, not only want to know ALL about you, AND also WHO you are--so that if need or want arises, they can physically locate you to arrest you, invade your home, confiscate your property, and do other stuff, including kill you. I don't know about you, but I would rather Google serve me better with services and show me relevant ads. For me there is no fear in that. But governments are different, and should be feared.
Tweet Follow @johnmpoole
The Big Picture
Financial Crisis - The Telegraph
JohnTheCrowd.com | The Sailing Website
Craig Newmark - craigconnects
- ► 2015 (131)
- Roger Bootle: The Euro Is a Complete Disaster (video)
- Fixing Social Security is Easy! The Politics is Hard!
- Level 3 - TW Telecom $5.7B Deal (video)
- Why Medtronic Wants to Reincorporate in Ireland (v...
- How Bill and Hillary Clinton Avoid Estate Tax (video)
- Wealthy Bill and Hillary Clinton Use Trust to Avoi...
- GDP, Asian Ascendance, Europe, US Decline (video)
- High Taxes, Moving, Decline in Dynamism
- No Apology Obama, Bowe Bergdahl Swap (video)
- New Normal: Awash in Cash, Fed Record Balance Sheet
- No Place To Hide, Glenn Greenwald, NSA, Edward Sno...
- US vs Citigroup, Why Talks Broke Down (video)
- Cash is still King
- Cantor Loss, A Postscript
- Cantor's Loss, Voters' Gain, Big Money the Big Los...
- David Brat, Elizabeth Warren, 2 sides of the same ...
- Bowe Bergdahl Handover Video Shot by Taliban (video)
- Bowe Bergdahl Swap Will Encourage Taliban Kidnappi...
- America’s forgotten 7 million missing workers
- Federal Reserve Policy, Money Has No Value
- Obama Has Retired, Plays Golf, Late Night Dinners,...
- The No Exit Business Model
- Chinese Army Hacking into US Companies, Charlie Ro...
- Richard Branson: A Better World In 10 Years (video)
- Fed Policy, Awash In Liquidity, Consequences
- Edward Snowden, Motive, NBC video
- US Companies, China Spying Impact (video)
- Hedge Fund Highflier, More Scared, More Cash
- Government Policy, Tech Bubble, Housing Bubble, th...
- Mathias Döpfner has it wrong, Google Is Not Danger...
- ▼ June (30)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (423)